Gallery: Cases

Yeah, they aren't that expensive anymore, but it's still hard to spend the money.

Yeah, that would probably be fine. Just keep in mind that they are sleeve bearing fans. Run them vertically, horizontally will lead to premature failure.

Yup I do remember this as well. I think I'm remembering this stuff from you, IIRC :D I can remember a thread on this ~6-12 months ago, I think. But, yes, everything in my rig is vertical--thanks to me having an Intel...otherwise my Xiggy would be the wrong way (like Poker's) and I'd only be about to mount one fan on it and it'd have to be horizontal!

Huh, I noticed some of the big monster CPU heat sinks are horizontal some are vertical. Is there an advantage one way or the other.

I mounted the dark knight in my system vertically oriented figuring the air flow pattern front to back. What is the most advantageous orientation for the heat pipes? [edit] Note: My computer is laying on it's side in this photo.[end edit]

Air_flow.jpg

Huh, I noticed some of the big monster CPU heat sinks are horizontal some are vertical. Is there an advantage one way or the other.

I mounted the dark knight in my system vertically oriented figuring the air flow pattern front to back. What is the most advantageous orientation for the heat pipes? [edit] Note: My computer is laying on it's side in this photo.[end edit]

Yeah, that's how most of us have ours mounted, it's just that on most AMD systems, you can mount the a lot of HSFs vertically, which really sucks for air flow. So, though I feel AMD is superior right now (ATM), I'm glad I have my intel. But I'm sure with some rigging, you could get them to sit right on an AMD board. I do, however, LOVE AMDs locking system. It's like having the security of a bolt-thru, but with out having to pull the board out. When I threw my friend's Phenom 9600 build together, I was AWED at the easy, but strength, of the HSF placement!

I mounted the dark knight in my system vertically oriented figuring the air flow pattern front to back.

Well it also depends on the case you have as well. If you have a case with a bottom mount PSU and an exhaust fan on the top of the case then it would do fine either way. But as you can see mine does not which really blows. I am waiting for newegg to stock some of the enzotech retention brackets which allow you to mount the HSF any way you want (even though you lose the AMD mounting mechanism and go to a socket 775 mounting system) But I want to see if I can shave off a few more degrees from my temps in order to push my CPU some more. Right now I hit temps in the mid 50's which is fine for the chip but I know I have some more Mhz left to go before I hit a wall. And I really don't want to go with H2O or a more expensive HSF such as the TRUE.

Yeah, it does depend on the case. With the way mine is set up, I think it makes more sense to have it vertically instead of trying to get air from a metal plate. You can't see the exhaust fan in this pic, but it's right behind the heatsink.

IMG_4290-2.jpg

Cabbs, does the light turn off when you close the cover like a refrigerator? :D

I like the way your board is "upside down" so that the GPU heat pipe are oriented for optimum cooling.

Haha that would be pretty funny.

Yeah, the orientation does help with GPU cooling, especially with 2 120MM exhaust fans right above it.

Back
Top Bottom