Ugghhhhhhh

noobbuilder2000

In Runtime
My dad want a computer for work so his friend gave him a free computer pretty cruddy but it works for word thats all he needs but it was working off servers.
I wana install the free linux thing for him so he can do what ever he wants like surf the web save files and what else he needs so i downloaded lunix . Can anyone tell me how to install it do i like just burn it on a disk or osmthing and install it like windows or what.

just google imgburn and use that to burn it too a CD and boot from the CD and you'll be set from there. everything else is common sense

It's quite straight-forward. You need a program capable of burning disc-images (InfraRecorder is good, though programs like Nero offer this as well). Simply burn the image to a CD, insert it in to the computer and boot from it. Most of the popular Linux distributions these days come in Live CD form, so it will most likely boot in to a desktop environment by default. Double-click the installation icon and follow the process. You shouldn't have to change much if all you're after is a simple installation.

Out of curiosity, which distribution did you download?

Ah. That sounds like you may have downloaded just the kernel, rather than a Linux distribution. It'd be a much harder task to install that. I would suggest getting the ISO image from one of the following sites:

www.ubuntu.com
www.mandriva.com

They are two of today's most popular distributions and generally work well straight out of the box. If you want multimedia support out of the box, such as codecs for proprietary media-types (MP3, WMV, WMA, AAC etc.) then Linux Mint might be a good choice. It's based on the above-listed Ubuntu distribution but, in the eyes of many, takes the user-friendliness (particularly for beginners) up a level.

www.linuxmint.com

I have used Ubuntu for quite sometime when I decided to try out Linux. Very user friendly, and easy to install. I have Ubuntu on my laptop, and one of my PC's at my house. At my job, we have upgraded our servers to Red Hat Linux. So, I personally would recommend you download Ubuntu :)

Back
Top Bottom