Questions on OCing Q6600

Ill will have to check out MX-2.

OK so i ran Prime95 for a few minutes and this is what i got

thermal3.jpg

And this is at idle

thermal2.jpg

yes i drop around 8C and it has cure yet and the average drop it between 2c to 5c.

I cant lower the voltage if i do, when i run prime95 i get errors this is the lowest ive been able to it to.

I think that my other setting need to be modified. Because a lot of people can get Q6600 to 3.0ghz without touching the voltage. My first post is where my BIOS setting are currently at.

since your temps are back down, try a higher voltage to get a higher OC, not everybody's chip is the same, I have my voltage in the bios set at 1.425v but because of vdroop the voltage is really only 1.376v in cpu-z, the reason mine is so high is because I have a B3 stepping Q6600, Ghost probably has a G0, revision B3 doesn't OC as well as the G0 therefore I need to give it more juice, there will also be differences in G0s as well, as a rule of thumb from what I've heard the newer G0s don't OC as well as the older G0s, the older G0s overclocked like a beast even with lower voltages...

mine is stable at 3.06ghz (340 FSB) at 1.425v in the bios but 1.376v after vdroop is factored in...

You probably right since i just bought this G0 its a newer one. Im still gonna try to get it a little more OC out of it. Thank for the input..

You probably right since i just bought this G0 its a newer one. Im still gonna try to get it a little more OC out of it. Thank for the input..

also, I attached a small fan to my northbridge heatsink and my highest stable OC went up from 2.8ghz to 3.06ghz...

I might try that. I have it right now at 3.2Ghz at 1.42v highest temp was around 65C it been running prime95 for about 3hours no problem yet.

I had heard the newer Q6600s weren't great OC'ers. You obviously got one of the worst batches.

Make sure you have Loadline calibration enabled in the BIOS, this will help to decrease Vdroop. Also, you should have CPU and PCI-E spread spectrums disabled.

You should set all your voltages manually as leaving them on Auto will force the motherboard to set the voltage itself. Since you're not running a high FSB, the NB should be fine at default voltage (lowest value), CPU PLL shouldn't need to be higher than 1.5V, FSB at 1.2V. The only real voltage you need to focus on at these frequencies is the Vcore.

I guess i did get one of the worst batches. At least i got it to 3.2ghz

Loadline calibration is enabled and both CPU and PCI-e spread is disable

I will continue to tinker with it

Back
Top Bottom