Questions on OCing Q6600

50mobber

In Runtime
I oc'ed my Q6600 to 3.0Ghz. I wanted to get to 3.4Ghz if possible. Every time i try going over 3.0ghz i cant get it to be stable. I read every thread i could find on it and tried different tricks that i read about. But no luck. I also been looking at my temps and they seem to be high so im not sure if i could go any higher. When idle my temps are 44C to 35C.

Here are pics underload Prime95

asd.jpg

core.jpg

Here is what i have in BIOS

Cpu Ratio Setting- 9
FSB-333
PCI-e-100
DRAM Frequency- Auto
DRAM timing Control-auto
DRAM Static Read- Auto
DRAM Read Timing- Auto
MEM. OC Charger- Auto
AI Clock Twister- Auto
AI Transaction Booster- Auto

CPU Volt-1.35625
CPU GIL Reference-Auto
CPU PLL Volt- Auto
FSB Termination- 1.2
DRAM Volt-2.1
NB Volt-1.2
SB Volt-auto
PCI-e auto

Load Line Calibration- Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum- Disabled
PCI-e Spread Spectrum- Disabled
CPU Clock Spew- Auto
NB Clock Spew- Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement- Optimized

I haven't messed around with all the setting as i don't know what they do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

zalman 9700

could it cuz i just installed it friday and the thermal compound hasnt cured yet. Isnt it 200hours

zalman 9700

could it cuz i just installed it friday and the thermal compound hasnt cured yet. Isnt it 200hours

You put way too much/not enough paste on. Reseat your CPU with thermal paste the size of a half grain of rice.

i would guess that i put way too much. Ill try to reseat it and give it a go. Ill post up the results.

Have you tried lowering your CPU Voltage? If you can go lower, it will run cooler. Just to compare VIDs, I'm running a 3.2Ghz overclock (400 x 8) and my VID is 1.2625V.

Try ticking down the voltage one value at a time and see if it is stable.

There might be a variety of things causing this:

- Hot ambient temperature
- Heatsink not seated properly / too much or too little paste
- VCore too high
- Settings not optimal
- Airflow not optimal

if i lower the voltage it causes error in prime95.

Ambient temps is 21C or 70F

I think it cause i put too much paste cuz when i was putting it on i thought it was a little too much, but decided to go ahead. Or i could be that my setting are not optimal cuz im fairly new at this. IF so could someone look over my setting and suggestion what i could change.

if i lower the voltage it causes error in prime95.

Ambient temps is 21C or 70F

I think it cause i put too much paste cuz when i was putting it on i thought it was a little too much, but decided to go ahead. Or i could be that my setting are not optimal cuz im fairly new at this. IF so could someone look over my setting and suggestion what i could change.

This is about how much you want...the size of a grain of rice.

Oh wow no i put more on than that i got the instructions from the Arctic Silver website.

Here is what they said to put on this much

thermal.jpg

Anyways i already re-applied it. With alot less i am going to run prime95 see how it is.

Too little and the TIM doesn't get spread evenly enough and doesn't transfer the heat to the HSF; too much, and it acts as a blanket and blocks head transfer to the HSF...which is why applying just the right amount is critical. I wouldn't recommend Arctic anyways. Ever since trying it and see reviews, I will always use MX-2 now.

Back
Top Bottom