Evaluate my new computer specs?

it still doesent say if it supports the phenom II x2 cpu's

I was noting to you that the board supports AM3...if it supports AM3, why would it not support PII's? Anyways, it looks like the board will EVENTUALLY run it, but the CPU is so new (and the board older, obviously) that there may not be a BIOS update for the board yet to run that PARTICULAR model. As evidenced, again, by more easily found information.

As you can see, there's a slew of AM3 PII's that are compatible, but I think that because of the PII X2's new-ness, it's not on the list yet--but I don't see why it wouldn't be able to support it. So long story short, you may want to wait till a new revision of that board comes out...or you could call ASRock and see if the board supports them.

And, I apologize for my first post (I missed that it was a dual core instead of a quad, which is why I said what I said).

EDIT: Okay..yup. I'm 99.9% sure compatibility is going to come with a BIOS revision (who knows, they may not even need one) because NewEgg power search comes up with no button to select the PII x2. And, even typing "PII x2" comes up with nothing (as far as rock solid compatibility).

Newegg just hasn't updated the specs. That ASRock 790GX will support the X2 550 and a BIOS update enabling support is imminent. Keep an eye on this page: http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=A790GXH/128M&s=AM2+

You will be able to boot up and POST fine with the old BIOS, but the CPU will not run at it's correct frequency, but much lower. PokerDegenerate can confirm this. His board didn't have a BIOS with PII 920 support when he bought his. You will just need to flash to a newer BIOS to get full support for the CPU.

Back
Top Bottom