Motherboard Question

If you get the 1066 it will run in dual channel in that board but it will downclock it to 800 mhz instead of 1066. It will work fine out of the box but you will lose the rams full ability. I would go ahead and get it so that way if you upgrade in the future you will have the 1066 ram already or you could just get one of the 790x boards that don't have this limitation. I really don't think that it will make much of a real life difference anyways. Also if I remember correctly this build is going to be for general uses anyways for your dad right? Just like surfing the net and your not going to really see a difference there. The extra bandwidth comes in handy when overclocking and other extensive RAM use but with a basic computer its not going to be a night and day difference by any means. If you don't plan on upgrading later and reusing the RAM and you can find some 800mhz for cheaper you could always get that since the 1066 is going to be downclocked in dual channel. Dual channel 800mhz will be much more efficient than 1066 in single channel mode and you will lose more speed doing it that way. My last board didn't even recognize my 1066 RAM right out of the box it had to be "overclocked" by me to even run at its stated speed anyways. If you could post a link to the thread which the whole build was listed in or post the full specs of the system that would be helpful in picking the best board of the bunch as well...

***Edit*** This was the board I used for my last build and I was a good board and had some nice overclocking features and looked really sexy with some UV cathodes...Biostar TA790GX 2+

Yeah, NDA, The issue has been covered, but think of how most normal builds go - 2x2 sticks. in slots 0 and 3. That 4gb there and only one per channel anyways. 8Gb can almost NEVER be justified in a gaming rig. And by time it can be justified, you'll already want to get another build.

Yeah, NDA, The issue has been covered, but think of how most normal builds go - 2x2 sticks. in slots 0 and 3. That 4gb there and only one per channel anyways. 8Gb can almost NEVER be justified in a gaming rig. And by time it can be justified, you'll already want to get another build.

No Grant what it means is that the board cant run 4 gigs in dual channel mode only at 1066 Mhz. It will run em iat 800 mhz in dual channel mode though. You will not get the same performance running memory in single channel mode as you would in dual channel mode. He wasn't talking about having 8gbs of ram he just wants 2 or 4 to run in dual channel mode.

Gotcha. I understood he wasn't in the works for 8Gb. I was just pointing out that most builds only use two sticks anyways and that there wasn't much loss of only using 2 sticks at 1066. But since you say it can't be done. >.>

Back
Top Bottom