How to disable restrictions on Chinese networks

Serenade1

Beta member
I'm currently in China for vacation, and due to really silly government regulations, all Chinese-manufactured networking devices like modems and such has a firewall that prevents access to any popular foreign sites like youtube.
Does anyone know how to permanently disable these firewalls (software methods, I don't think I want to or know how to take apart the modem or anything)? Proxy only provides a temporary solution, and since proxy does not allow downloads, it still does not solve the problem since I can't even access file sharing sites such as mediafire.
Thanks.

I'd say you're out of luck. I would think that any penalties the "silly" Chinese government may have imposed would be a deterrent enough to not attempt what your are trying to do.

I'm currently in China for vacation, and due to really silly government regulations, all Chinese-manufactured networking devices like modems and such has a firewall that prevents access to any popular foreign sites like youtube.
Does anyone know how to permanently disable these firewalls (software methods, I don't think I want to or know how to take apart the modem or anything)? Proxy only provides a temporary solution, and since proxy does not allow downloads, it still does not solve the problem since I can't even access file sharing sites such as mediafire.
Thanks.

The things that do the restrictions are network based, not in the modem's. They would be located in parts of the internet backbone.

Theirs two ways I would recommend getting around it, try this software http://psiphon.ca/ as well as the TOR network, both of these should effectively get you around the blocks.

Blame Cisco Systems for this. They sold China the gear to do this hideous action. I do not use any of their products for the networks I design.

The things that do the restrictions are network based, not in the modem's. They would be located in parts of the internet backbone.

Theirs two ways I would recommend getting around it, try this software http://psiphon.ca/ as well as the TOR network, both of these should effectively get you around the blocks.
Hmm it seems every day more websites are blocked by the system. Just yesterday I was able to access this small online encyclopedia and today I can't.
The Psiphon website is also blocked. Does the psiphon require any downloads? If it doesn't I'll just use a proxy to check its instructions. It's one of the recommended methods on wikipedia it seems along with Tor, though Tor is also blocked.

I do know several hacks for Cisco based routers. However They patched the latest filtering stuff so I cannot do this at my work like I used to 2 months ago. My work uses that kinda thing it and it drives me mad. I wanted to play runescape at work and they blocked it last week. My job is so slow. I resorted to playing some flash games. Blah.

Blame Cisco Systems for this. They sold China the gear to do this hideous action. I do not use any of their products for the networks I design.

What is your major malfunction kid?
It's not CISCO's fault that China is still a communist country. In order to keep the masses under as much control as possible they regulate the internet, and all the rest of the media.
CISCO and many other service and equipment companies do business with the Chinese. How they run their country is of little to no concern. Yahoo! and Google are over there also. You going to stop using them too? Grow up. The world is an ugly place. Deal with it...

To the OP. It's not worth getting thrown in a cell and left to rot or get caned. They are serious about censorship.
So when in Rome...

If Cisco Systems did not invent their dreadful contraption, then the Chinese government would not have thought of it. They are the ones who invented it.

Cisco Systems cannot sell anymore routers since they are in every data center already, they want to make more money, so they had to come up with a plan to make more money. They decided on this approach. They co-operated with the Chinese to make this. If they truly cared for an open internet they would not sell this solution. All Cisco Systems wants to do is make more money they don't need.

They do this in the midst of laying off massive amounts of people. How dreadful.

Well of course they will its called capitalism its the idea where your dont really care what the end product is used for as long as you get paid for it .Besides i was under the impression that china just took some readilly available cisco hardware and modified the software for its use in this way
I mean by your reasoning US arms firms know that when they sell weapons to isreal they will be used to bomb palestine should we all of a sudden stop them doing so ?
I mean arms manufacturers build products soley designed for killing and causing damage and destruction

Cisco knew how unethical thier actions are. Their actions can cause financial harm to others whom there sites have been blocked by Cisco's technologies.

China has the most people in the world country-wise. That is missing out on a lot of business opportunities. Businesses whom their sites have been blocked in china might suffer as a result of their actions. Those businesses should have major grounds to sue the crap out of Cisco.

Back
Top Bottom