New build

The fulls size desktop would offer better performance as you would not be limited by uATX boards or cooling limitations. So I would recommend you go with the full tower case if you can.
Anything more than DDR3 1333 isn't needed for an i7 platform. Even 1066 is hardly any slower than 1600 as i7 just doesn't seem to need the extra bandwidth at this time, same for Phenom II.
So just save your money: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220367
I would go with the HD 4850 X2. I've only just noticed it at this price and it beats the GTX 275 in almost every benchmark.
Here's a modular version of that PSU for the same price. The Xigmatek PSUs and the Corsair VX line have the same OEM, Channel Well.
The 900 used to be available at a good price, but it seems to have risen again. I would recommend the CM RC-690, it's a bit bigger than the 900 as well.
If you really want to put that much money into this, scratch the lanbox and get an intel i7 965(thats the extreme), and get the GTX 295. Also get a cpu cooler. The coolermaster v8 looks BEAST. Also if you want you can buy the corsair tx850, i know its 100 more watts than the corsair u listed but its only like $20 more, if you want.
The 965 is 4 times the price of the 920, it uses the exact same architecture. If someone is considering the 965, they need to be an experienced overclocker, and they need to have money to burn.
He only need an aftermarket cooler if he's overclocking, which it doesn't seem he is.

obviously he has money to burn if he wants to build a lanbox just for lans. I would disagree with worship and go with the PSU u choose. Its got a single rail with a 12v rail of 60. Single rails are usually better than multiple. If you want a case id go with the Antec Twelve hundred. From my experience with it id say its the best case i have ever used. It is very well built and put together, it currently houses my GTX 295 that is 10.5 inches in length without a single problem. Not to mention the airflow is great, you can see the case in action at the link below, i made that video a little bit ago. I know its loud but it has 10 fans including the GPU fan, CPU fan, and PSU fan. Thought the case worship recommended is cheaper but if your thinking of spending 1.5k on a lanbox just for lans i dont see why you couldnt go with the 1200 if you scratched the lanbox idea.

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2shAMS_arA&feature=channel_page

well, the lanbox would not have been for lan, i was just thinkin of building that as my only computer and liked the idea of being able to easily transport it from college to home, and it not takin up to much space in my dorm. i would like to stay under 1600 for w/e computer i build (including monitor)

nice system techmaster :)

i hate to say it, but i would go with evga....

i dont like spending money where i dont have to as much as any other guy, but you get what u pay for

ya evga is awesome though id go with the x58 LE because its a mixture of their top end x58 classified board and that regular x58 board. Up to you though but Evga has yet to fail me so i say drop asus and go evga.

Back
Top Bottom