Computer powers on by itself from sleep mode?

C E Jones

Baseband Member
Last night I put my computer into sleep mode, but when I woke up this morning it had powered back on by itself. I put it back into sleep and it hasn't happened again yet. I'm running Windows 7 but I recall the same thing happening awhile ago on my XP system. I'm wondering what could cause something like this?

Power fluctuation. You ever notice how the lights dim sometimes when you plug your computer in? Same concept. If the power fluctuates and something connected to the computer via USB dims, it causes it to lose connection then regain connection. Or at least this is what I have discerned by watching the computer next to me return from sleep when the mini-fridge turns on...

Could be but you can solve that problem with a UPS. And before you make the point they're expensive, Office Depot has a good APC back up for under 50 dollars US money.That would smooth out the line fluctuations.
But in the OP's case my money's on the " wake to " LAN settings. Those need to be disabled. Getting pinged or just some innocuous network back ground noise can trigger those.

Seti makes a very good point. Try disabling that from your network deivce options. CP > Network connections > right click to properties on LAN device > Configure > Power management > uncheck: Allow this device to bring computer out of standby.

Voila :D let us know if this fixes the issue.

If this is a laptop your talking about, my one always switches on when in sleep mode if a usb external mouse or keyboard are connected and any of the buttons are pressed - are you doing anything like that?

Seti makes a very good point. Try disabling that from your network deivce options. CP > Network connections > right click to properties on LAN device > Configure > Power management > uncheck: Allow this device to bring computer out of standby.

Voila :D let us know if this fixes the issue.

Thanks for the tip. I disabled the "wake to LAN" feature, hopefully that will work. I know it's not the keyboard causing it, as it has been waking up during the night when I'm asleep. So unless my apartment is haunted, nobody's pressing any keys on the keyboard :D

Back
Top Bottom