Student lights up a joint during a pro-marijuana essay.

he may be stupid for lighting up a joint in class..but did you read the essay? He got his facts straight and put A LOT of effort into it.

He didn't get his facts straight, he quoted his opinion as fact, he never cited sources for facts, he used lots of slang words for pot all throughout the piece,

he switches his position (as in first person and third person),

an example of this is
Your parents have probably told you that smoking pot ... ... they were probably teenagers in the 70's and smoked pot themselves so their very objection to weed is extremely hypocritical.
having done something yourself and warning people against it doesn't make you a hypocrite, it's makes you informed about what you;re talking about.

personally if an ex heroin addict stood in front of me saying that heroin is bad, I'd take his view over someone arriving from the local police saying that drugs are bad. because he's been there and he knows why he started using, what happens when you;re taking the drugs, and how he got off of the drugs and how it affected his life.

I quote, “Marijuana is an addictive drug”. That my friends is an outright lie.
[quoteA person can become chemically dependent on the drug but that is radically different than an addiction.[/quote]

firstly, I'd say that the first quote is BS, and the second quote... ummm being dependant on something is really a cause of addiction.

alcoholics can become chemically dependant on a substance, and in this case basically just stopping and going cold turkey can actually harm the body as you upset the chemical balance, i.e your body needs the drug to function in a normal state as it's so used to compensating for a foreign chemical/drug that it can't cope without the foreign chemical/drug

secondly, anyone who has smoked pot for a long time with their friends will tell you that pot most certainly is addictive, not that your body can't cope without it, (at least I've never found that) -though this guy claims that studies prove that you can develop this kind of addiction!). but that you find that you become psychologically addicted to it. and you just can't stop. you just always somewhere inside really feel a bit of a need for a joint,
The same as smoking really, Having smoked and given up, (though I smoke again now), I found that when I gave up [which was for a few years] I'd always find myself in certain situations feeling like I should be smoking, like when waiting for a bus of a train. times when previously I'd have smoked whilst waiting for something else to happen, it wasn't a constant craving of a chemical dependency or physical addiction, it was pure psychology, as soon as I was on said bus/train I wasn't in a place where I'd usually smoke and wouldn't feel the need to smoke. this has always been true, whenever I wait for a bus I feel like I should be smoking, because having a smoke whilst waiting for a bus is just a habit I got into.

earlier he talks about 11 presidents who supported hemp growth...
well...
hemp is different from marijuana, not least because it contains such negligible amounts of THC that you really couldn't get high from it. it's the difference between growing red poppies and white poppies.

To study 182 of 5 ¼ million accidents, .0034%, and make apocryphal claims based on that research shows ineptitude beyond that of any man disposed to devout his life to a hierarchy of pious infidels who understand nothing of the nature and complexity of life.
what the hell is that? ou think you;re writing a serious essay there mate?
perhaps I should quote what came before that.
...government studied 182 “random” fatal truck accidents. It just so happened that in these “random” accidents marijuana was present in as many of the drivers as alcohol. The National Transportation Safety Board then determined that marijuana is just as dangerous as alcohol while driving. The reasoning behind this argument has more than several flaws. First of all marijuana can stay in a persons system for more than 2 weeks, there is no way to tell that the drivers were high at the time of their accidents...
I agree that 182 of 5 1.4 mil isn't a large amount and possibly not statistically significant.
however, if this study was completely random then it more likely does more to show how prevalent pot use is, and that it possibly is dangerous.
he says that pot stays in the system for more than 2 weeks, (again no citation for study). but he fails to take into account the concentration. -and if there were no figures of concentration found then he should attacked the study differently, or abandoned the study as useless for his cause.

next he goes on to talke about legal pot pills (marinol).
Marinol is substantially different than marijuana. First, it's not real THC; there is not one part of the Cannabis sativa plant in Marinol. It's a bunch of chemicals that some scientist mixes up in a lab
that's fine, cause it's not the actual leaf that gets you high, it's the chemicals in that leaf and how they interact with your body, why would it matter if those chemicals are natural or synthesised?
Not only is it very hard to obtain a prescription, the requirements exclude nearly everyone. You must either be a cancer patient who underwent chemotherapy or be an AIDS patient who has appetite loss. Both diseases have no cure and are generally fatal. So the government won't let you take Marinol unless you have a virtual death sentence. If I have a malignant disease I'm not going to take the time to get a government prescription, I'm going to smoke the real thing. So please don't feed me spurious claims that legal marijuana already exists.
so much shit here...
firstly, hard to obtain a prescription...

well yes, just like to obtain a prozac prescription I need to be depressed and have been seen by councellors.
to get a methadone prescription I'd have to be a heroin addict...
so yes, to be prescribed any drug there is usually a process to go through.
so that's the first part rubbished, it's no more difficult to get a prescription for this drug than it is for any other -you still have to meet criteria...

and the second part, still pretty shoddy, personal opinion not backed up with fact yet presented as fact, another change in perspective, (1st person from 3rd person). the fact that one of the criteria for getting a prescription is you may be a cancer patient, i don't know how many lung cancer patients are going to want to smoke pot. I'm guessing not that many.

Isn't it interesting that cancer, one of the world's deadliest, incurable diseases, is treated with marijuana, an illegal drug?
firstly, no, that's not interesting, and secondly, the disease isn't treated by the drug, secondary symptoms of the disease and associated treatments for the disease are alleviated with the use of pot, or chemically similar substances.

Marijuana is also used for treating multiple sclerosis and several mood disorders.
pot is used for treating the pain and muscle discomfort associated with MS, and mood disorders, I don't think that there is a vast amount of clinical research for this, certainly he hasn't cited any.

After smoking small amounts of marijuana patients are said to be relaxed and stress free. Unlike alcohol which is a depressant, Cannabis can be used to treat low level depression. Most depression is caused by stress; smoking pot relieves stress and thus relieves depression
FFS, alcohol is a depressant, yes.
pot is a depressant,
depressant doesn't mean that it affects you and makes you miserable, it means that it depresses the bodies systems. mild stress is routinely treated with alcohol everyday -had a hard day at work, get home and crack open a beer. just the same as you can get home and have a joint.
after working a shit day yesterday, (working about 9 hours 8am - 5pm, not bothering to stop for lunch, then doing a further four hours overtime at a client site, followed by a 2 hour tube and bus ride home (getting from London to Oxford) I got home and treated my stress with a bucket of KFC.

It's already the number 1 cash crop in 12 states including California,
firstly... he plagiarized that from here http://www.drugscience.org/Archive/bcr2/cashcrops.html -without a reference.

he bases his figures of sale on the guessed figures gathered by enforcement agencies. in reality leagal pot would never generate this money.
first it has to be regulated, -requires a work force
it has to be tested for consistency, it has to be distributed, it has to be taxed etc etc etc...
you may think that it's all ready distributed, but most of the pot that your getting is likely grown in a basement inside you own city or town, there isn't really a large shipping network (unless you;re talking about actual pot, like the brown stuff, that is shipped, usually from countries like Morocco).
by the time you've paid all the workers that'll actually grow this, and all the people to distribute it, and given up shop shelf space, and the government takes their slice it's going to end up pretty expensive. and lets face it, you can grow your own, so a lot of people would thus debasing the whole market.

yes, there are tax dollars to be made in the legalisation of drugs, but i double that they are on as grand of a scale as most people talk about.
Since 1990 5.9 million innocent Americans have been arrested on Cannabis charges
possibly the most dumb quote there.
they've been arrested for breaking the law, they are not innocent

next he moves onto gateway drugs
but smoking pot every now and then doesn't condemn you to be some cracked out heroin feign
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/feign
I think he means fiend.
btw, I don't disagree with his point of view about the gateway drug, I've long said that I don't know many people who smoke pot that didn't smoke a regular cigarette first. so tobacco is the real gateway drug!

realistically, he messes up so many things in this essay, he doesn't back up any of his points with references, he doesn't name any studies, if you google random sentences from his essay you'll see that he's plagiarized a lot of it...

then there is the lighting up a joint in class,
that's so stupid as to be idiotic.

so to quote from his essay
So please don't feed me spurious claims
and make apocryphal claims
ineptitude beyond that of any
pious infidels who understand nothing of the nature and complexity of life

I don't know what's more scary, the fact that a 3.7 GPA student, that's hovering around grade A or grade B in the English way of grading is stupid enough to light up a joint in class,
or the fact that he can't write a decent essay without large chunks or plagiarized work, spelling mistakes, grammatical errors inconsistencies in the aspect of the person that he's speaking from without any credible sources mentioned...

Lol.. Alrighty. Well.. I guess that just owned the crap out of anything anyone else can say. xD

Root, that was perhaps one of the most intellectual responses that I have ever read on CF.

I agree with each point you raise up 100%. Though I don't necessarily share your sentiments about certain psychological aspects of cannabis, you did a fine job backing your statements up.

Root, thank you for putting things into perspective. Although it may not be the popular view here, I wholeheartedly agree with your point of view. I only wish I could express myself as well as you do.

Root, thank you for putting things into perspective. Although it may not be the popular view here, I wholeheartedly agree with your point of view. I only wish I could express myself as well as you do.

I'm quite sure that most guys on here that are over the age of 17 have partaken in the smoking of marijuana, and as such agree with everything root has said.

What a moron. I'm all for people voicing their opinion on their rights and such, but this was a stupid move. And as superficial as it is, people most likely won't say "wow, that kid wrote an amazing essay and stood up for his right" - instead, it's going to be "d00d, did you see it when he pulled out that joint?!" He probably negated everything he put into that essay with one stupid action (in a public school where he was obviously going to be in trouble).

But as Root pointed out, his essay wasn't worth a whole lot. :]

Back
Top Bottom