Connection question

Tommylcl

Baseband Member
Sorry for the vague title but I can't really think of a way to sum this up in few words. Basically, my family has a wireless router in the house which I and a friend connect to. The router has a wired connection to our home computer, and I have my own computer up stairs which I connect to wirelessly. When my friend isn't connected and not downloading anything (again wirelessly), my Ping in games is 250~ (sadly enough) and when he is connected it jumps up to 350~ making lots of games unplayable. The thing that makes me very curious is that my download speeds are around 300kb/s. Also, when I game on our home computer, my Ping is around 90~ My questions are:

1. What are some of the possible reasons I am getting a decent download speed and such horrible ping? (I am using a Zonet 802.11n wireless USB adapter) <-- this may be the reason right here.

2. Is there a way I can make my connection a "priority" for lack of a better word, as in, instead of my connection getting worse, his just be really bad?

I have full access to everything ISP and router wise.

Also, I am up for buying an upgrade from the USB wireless adapter, like a new network card or something.

Thank you for your time.

The first thing that I would try is reorienting the antenna to improve your connection to the router. You might be surprise how much difference it can make.Sometimes, of course, it won't help. but the price is right so I would give that a try.

Ok, thanks for the input.

I have another question, when a new computer can connect out of the box to a wireless network, what part in said computer does that. Does the network card in the computer just have wireless support? Or is there a separate wireless network card? Because I'd like to install either one of these instead of having a USB network adapter as they just seem low quality.

Thanks.

I have another question, when a new computer can connect out of the box to a wireless network, what part in said computer does that. Does the network card in the computer just have wireless support? Or is there a separate wireless network card? Because I'd like to install either one of these instead of having a USB network adapter as they just seem low quality.

Thanks.

I take it you are talking about a desktop computer. What model?

Usually, there are separate network adapters for WiFi and Wired networks.

Thanks.

It is the wireless network card in a computer that allows it to connect. They plug in to your PCI slot.

like this one: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX15587(ME).aspx

Back
Top Bottom