My computer

You can get that mobo on New egg for 30 bucks cheaper and they have an open box one for like 133 bucks if you are willing to take a chance with it. I haven't heard of anyone having a bad experience with open box items and they do have a return policy for them as well so for like 80 bucks cheaper its worth a shot IMO.

With the RAM and the video card are you saying your getting both of each of them?

ya i'm getting both of them. 2 graphics cards for crossfire
also for the motherboard on newegg there's a review that says amd 955 dosent work on it becuase it didnt have the right bios, if i buy now it will it come with the right bios?

all you would have to do is flash the bios once you get it running. My board was the same when i booted it up it was only running at 800Mhz instead of 3200 Mhz. Im not sure about that board but mine had a flashing utility that does everything for you all you do is load it off the driver disk that comes with the mobo and it downloads it from the site and flashes it for you. Oh wait that is an open box so it might not come with the driver CD hold on a sec let me look it up and make sure you can DL it from the ASUS site.

Driver site for that board

there is a bios update utility tool that does it for you with that board (most boards have them now)

all you would have to do is download the utitliy (either from the website or off the disk it comes with but the open box might not come with it either way you can still get it no problem) and then run the program and it goes online and gets the newest BIOS version (the one that supports the 955 is Bios version 0902) and then install it. your computer will reboot and then its all done..:D:D

You will more than likely get a motherboard with the updated BIOS. I just read on the Asus forum where someone got that board la couple weeks back with the correct 0902 BIOS.

The only problem with that method Poker is that he'll need to flash the BIOS in DOS as he wont be able to install the OS before the update. In fact, I'm not sure how he would flash it if the motherboard wont post with the 955.

yeah I would assume it would be updated by now since these chips have been out for a lil bit now but just in case it does come with an old bios you can use the utility to flash it. It is also good for future updates as well because they may release a better bios version down the road that will better optimize the settings...:D

Um, quick question. And this may sound stupid, but doesn't that motherboard support AM3 right out of the box? Why wouldn't it post with the 955 unless the board itself was DOA?

Yes, it is a socket AM3 board. My guess is the 955 wasn't available for testing at the time the motherboard was released.

Back
Top Bottom