Building computer, can't install OS

GibsonSGKing

Daemon Poster
OK, I have 2 XP discs. I'm currently building this computer. I have RAM, CPU, HDD, and Dvd drives working. The problem is that when I boot, it goes to post, and then says DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. Neither copy of XP will work. I have the dvd drive set as the first boot device, I don't know what is wrong :confused:

The HDD should be on the end of the cable set as "master" with the DVD drive on the secondary connector set as "slave".

Press F8 at boot to select the DVD drive with the OS CD in it as the boot drive, or you can set the boot order in the BIOS.

The HDD should be on the end of the cable set as "master" with the DVD drive on the secondary connector set as "slave".

Press F8 at boot to select the DVD drive with the OS CD in it as the boot drive, or you can set the boot order in the BIOS.

OK, so the HDD needs to be at the top of the cable, and the dvd drive in the middle? How do I set this as master\slave? I planned on using a sata HDD, but I ended up using that hard drive in another comp :p

There are jumpers on the end of the drive where the cable plugs into. There should be a diagram on the drive label showing the correct positions for the jumpers. If not, you can look on the manufacturer's site for their proper location. The DVD drive should have the pin locations stamped on the back of the drive above the pins.

You can actually have them where ever you want, as long as the jumpers are set right. If you have the HDD in the middle (slave), set the jumpers on it to slave. In turn, that would put the DVD at the master (end of the cable) so you set the jumper for that to master. This makes more sense if you are using one cable since the DVD is usually above the HDD. I just did a build for a friend and had to do the way I explained above.

You can actually have them where ever you want, as long as the jumpers are set right. If you have the HDD in the middle (slave), set the jumpers on it to slave. In turn, that would put the DVD at the master (end of the cable) so you set the jumper for that to master. This makes more sense if you are using one cable since the DVD is usually above the HDD. I just did a build for a friend and had to do the way I explained above.

True. I got it all figured out though, I just used the IDE DVD drive, and a SATA HDD. It's installing windows right now. Thanks for all of your help though, next time I run into this problem I'll know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom