Looking for a new Desk!!!!

50mobber

In Runtime
Like the title says im look for a new desk. Im looking for a modern looking desk. The one I have now is not for a computer is from the 1985 so my mom says. I want somethings that can hide wires very well. I HATE WIRES. Any Suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

Like the title says im look for a new desk. Im looking for a modern looking desk. The one I have now is not for a computer is from the 1985 so my mom says. I want somethings that can hide wires very well. I HATE WIRES. Any Suggestions??? Thanks in advance.
Well I recently (last summer/fall) went through what you are going through. I looked around and found that all GOOD desks are REALLY expensive.. So what I did was go to my local home depot. Got some wood, some wood stain and clear coat. Some screws, a nice little tool that allows me to make hidden screws in the wood. Voila built a desk. So my advice is if you are at all good with handy work. Build one.:)

Well I recently (last summer/fall) went through what you are going through. I looked around and found that all GOOD desks are REALLY expensive.. So what I did was go to my local home depot. Got some wood, some wood stain and clear coat. Some screws, a nice little tool that allows me to make hidden screws in the wood. Voila built a desk. So my advice is if you are at all good with handy work. Build one.:)

I'll second that. DIY is the way to go right now if you can't afford a new desk. I just built myself a workbench for working on computers for customers. It turned out great. As for what vampist was talking about (hiding screws), it's called counter-sinking. You pre-drill the hole, then screw in the screw which ends up under the surface of the wood. You can then get pre-made caps to push into the holes, or make your own by buying a wooden dowel of the right diameter and cutting it to depth to push into the hole. Then when you're done, clear coat that monster with some good polyurethane (3 coats, sand, 2 coats...is my rule) and bingo. You may also want to stain it before hand, but since I bought knotty pine, I just went with the classic look.

One quick and dirty desk method. Go to home depot and get a counter top, the pre-made wood ones with the Formica top and back splash. Put this on the top of a couple short file cabinets and you have a nice long desk. Not the greatest looking, but it really doesn't look bad. Lots of space, and you have file cabinets. I've seen the counter tops for about 45 bucks.

One quick and dirty desk method. Go to home depot and get a counter top, the pre-made wood ones with the Formica top and back splash. Put this on the top of a couple short file cabinets and you have a nice long desk. Not the greatest looking, but it really doesn't look bad. Lots of space, and you have file cabinets. I've seen the counter tops for about 45 bucks.

Yup. Good for low-traffic, out-of-the-eye areas. I had a few like that out in our garage for a while when we had old counter tops and cabinets left from our old kitchen before the remodel. Very practical. +1.

you could also check out sites like craigslist. You will find a bunch on there as well and sometimes either free or dirt cheap.

Sometimes people who are moving and dont have room for the desk will post them up for free if you go pick it up.

Its worth a shot to take a look...:D:D

Back
Top Bottom