Plugged Laptop into dollar store power strip, think I firied my computer, help!

Ultrablue

Beta member
Hi guys, I thoughtlessly plugged my new laptop into a cheap power strip. The second I plugged it in, there was a spark. Didn't think too much of it until I started the computer. The monitor changed colors and is all pyschedelic now. The computer itself turns on, just everything is now red and aqua on the screen.

I think an electrical surge may have fried something (video card, mo-bo?) but not sure what is responsible for causing the display to change colors. Can someone help me out so I can try to get this fixed. It's a new computer. Thanks guys.

The mainboard or some other major part would have blown up. Buy a spare off ebay and replace the motherboard.

I see it all the time, repair is complicated and costly.

Call the manufacturer up or the company you bought it from and tell them the computer doesn't start properly. Since it is a new computer their should still be a warentee

What kind of laptop do you have? If is not out of warranty, call the manufacturer and they should take care of it. On a side note it is also very wise to plug the power supply into the strip first and then into the computer. The reason being if there is a surge or spike the power supply will take the hit and arrest it before damaging the computer. This is true in both inexpensive and high quality surge suppressors. Good luck!

Couldn't you sue? I do believe you can.

Anyway.. Yeah this is why you don't by low grade power strips or surge protectors.

Couldn't you sue? I do believe you can.

Anyway.. Yeah this is why you don't by low grade power strips or surge protectors.

Is it worth it to go through the courts and lawyers and paper work? IMHO, I don't think it is.

Is it worth it to go through the courts and lawyers and paper work? IMHO, I don't think it is.
Well.. Depends on the computer. But I'm sure he could say "I got a shock that violently hurt".. Would also help for a settlement deal =P (usually more money)

Well.. Depends on the computer. But I'm sure he could say "I got a shock that violently hurt".. Would also help for a settlement deal =P (usually more money)

Yeah right.....$8000 computer. But if it's just a $400 dollar laptop, it doubt it's worth it. :p And yay for settlements...:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom