New here: Is this a good deal on a gaming system?

I've also heard about some problems with the phenom tri cores not wanting to work right in vista and xp 64 bit. They supposedly just BSOD several minutes after startup, so I would suggest avoiding those. I don't know if it applies to the black edition though. I do know that it didn't happen with the quad cores though.
From who? I have an X3 720 BE and the thing runs great. From what I've heard from everybody I know that has one, they run perfectly. Some have successfully enabled the 4th core too.

From who? I have an X3 720 BE and the thing runs great. From what I've heard from everybody I know that has one, they run perfectly. Some have successfully enabled the 4th core too.

Like I said, I do not know if it applies to the black edition. I just know that alot of people were having problems with this one phenom x3 (I don't think it was the second version) and AMD basically said return it and wait for the newer ones to come out. I've read this on one forum and the newegg reviews. I'm not sure though, as I've never tested it myself.

:eek: Go for the 955 and the 4870 and you can play anything maxed too. I cant believe someone actually said get a less CPU and a bigger GPU and you will be all set. I have a VERY similar rig to the one you listed and I can play any game MAXED on 1680 x 1050.

The x3 720 is also a great chip and won't do ya wrong but with the price difference you are paying for that you might as well go with the 955.

The 4870 1gb is a sweet card and will play ANYTHING you throw at it as well. Sure you might not get 60 FPS on Crysis but you will get decent enough FPS on MAX settings to play through the game with no Hiccups.

If you are looking to shave a few bucks off you could go with the x3 720 but if you are looking for a good deal on a rig that deal you got there isn't a bad deal at all especially for a prebuilt rig with a 955. Considering the 955 is 245 dollars on its own and then a 4870 1gb is around 200 bucks as well. So you figure in the rest, shipping, and the fact that you get a WARRANTY with your rig that you wouldnt get by building yourself (even though you said you dont want to) and you got yourself a good deal there.

I would go for it....:D:D:D

Don't downgrade the CPU. it is often the hardest thing to upgrade since taking off the cooler is sometimes a royal pain to do. I would rather have a better system to last me a longer time, than have to put more money into a cheaper system down the road.

Yeah, thats usually how I think. In my original config that I posted here, that is an upgraded CPU from the original manufacturers config while I kept the video card the same. Its easy to swap out vid cards if need be. With that said, I never wind up upgraded my systems anymore. Usually I get components that are all pretty equal and have the system for about 5 years where it gets to a point that its better to just get a whole new system. I'm no longer someone who needs to get every new game that comes out. I play RTS games, and after I find a good one I will play it for about 5 years. Last 3 computers was Total Annihilation for 5 years, AOE II for 5 years and now I been playing DoW for 5 years (had 3 expansions but system handled all no prob).

Back
Top Bottom