Multiple SSID's

ErdricK

In Runtime
My Router is able to have 5 Seperate SSID's.

my question is......say on SSID #1 all my office computers are connected wirelessly and they access files on the NAS (Network Assigned Storage) on the ip 192.168.1.157

If I made a seperate SSID, SSID #2 for the general public that walks in to our company can I somehow use my router to block off the ip 192.168.1.157 so that when they are connected they dont see all the files on that shared drive?

The router is a Cisco RVS4000 4-port Gigabit Security Router - VPN

The NAS unit is a DNS-323

My Router is able to have 5 Seperate SSID's.

my question is......say on SSID #1 all my office computers are connected wirelessly and they access files on the NAS (Network Assigned Storage) on the ip 192.168.1.157

If I made a seperate SSID, SSID #2 for the general public that walks in to our company can I somehow use my router to block off the ip 192.168.1.157 so that when they are connected they dont see all the files on that shared drive?

The router is a Cisco RVS4000 4-port Gigabit Security Router - VPN

The NAS unit is a DNS-323

I don't know if you can accomplish this from the router, that is beyond my knowledge. But, you might be able to do the same thing from the NAS.

My local network has several NAS. What I've done is to create a login on the NAS that matches my computer login. In order to access the NAS you must login, but with the same login on my computer it allows me to access the NAS seamlessly. Anyone else on the network, or someone logged onto my computer with a different login will get the login dialog box from the NAS if they try to access it. For my home network this works great.

A couple of things you would want to consider. How important is your local network security and how vital is the information on the NAS. Also, unauthorized people may not be able to login to the NAS but they would be able to learn of its existence. Hopefully this will give you some ideas you can use.

Thanks Russel, that is alot of help actually. I know exactly what you are talking about.

in your router you should be able to to block the network either under security or if you have to configure the router yourself be creating an ACL. (Not familiar with the router you are using.)

Try connecting the two routers together with a cable. Take a cable and plug into P1-4 of the first router and into IN Internet on the second router.

Back
Top Bottom