A bit of a dilemma

cldd5678

Baseband Member
Hey everyone, I need some buying tips. I'm going to be starting university in the fall and for the computer arrangement I've decided to go with the desktop and cheap laptop combo.

The problem is with the desktop. I am definitely going to build it myself, but I have a choice. My friend recently bought a new laptop and is trying to sell his old computer which is about one year old. I am going to buy some of his parts(NZXT Lexa Blackline, 4GB DDR-800 RAM, and possibly an unknown motherboard and power supply). The last few days, I've been looking around for a new processor and I ran into a few possibilities, like the Q9550, Q9400, Q8400 and the Q8200 all from Intel. The problem I have with choosing a new CPU is that my buddy also offered me his old Q6600(which I believe has never been OC'ed) for about $150 Canadian. I was particularly looking at the Q9550 from the other possibilites and it costs about $300 Canadian before tax, but I don't know if it really is worth the extra $150. So I guess my question is, what would you guys do? Get the 6600 and use the other money on something else? Or get the 9550? Oh ya I don't think the extra money would go toward a GPU as I most likely will be getting a EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked version.

I do a bunch of crap with my comp, but a lot of it is gaming. I'm also starting to upload some videos to Youtube and, as a result, am starting to screw around with Sony Vegas.

Also another thing is that if anyone can give me some recommendations on laptops(preferably from Future Shop or Best Buy Canada, don't ask it's just a parent thing) that would be awesome. I want to try to keep the cost before taxes for the laptop under $700 Canadian. Thanks guys, this is very much appreciated. Sorry for the overly long post, I tend to write a lot:D

Hey everyone, I need some buying tips. I'm going to be starting university in the fall and for the computer arrangement I've decided to go with the desktop and cheap laptop combo.

The problem is with the desktop. I am definitely going to build it myself, but I have a choice. My friend recently bought a new laptop and is trying to sell his old computer which is about one year old. I am going to buy some of his parts(NZXT Lexa Blackline, 4GB DDR-800 RAM, and possibly an unknown motherboard and power supply). The last few days, I've been looking around for a new processor and I ran into a few possibilities, like the Q9550, Q9400, Q8400 and the Q8200 all from Intel. The problem I have with choosing a new CPU is that my buddy also offered me his old Q6600(which I believe has never been OC'ed) for about $150 Canadian. I was particularly looking at the Q9550 from the other possibilites and it costs about $300 Canadian before tax, but I don't know if it really is worth the extra $150. So I guess my question is, what would you guys do? Get the 6600 and use the other money on something else? Or get the 9550? Oh ya I don't think the extra money would go toward a GPU as I most likely will be getting a EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked version.

I do a bunch of crap with my comp, but a lot of it is gaming. I'm also starting to upload some videos to Youtube and, as a result, am starting to screw around with Sony Vegas.

Also another thing is that if anyone can give me some recommendations on laptops(preferably from Future Shop or Best Buy Canada, don't ask it's just a parent thing) that would be awesome. I want to try to keep the cost before taxes for the laptop under $700 Canadian. Thanks guys, this is very much appreciated. Sorry for the overly long post, I tend to write a lot:D
I would not buy the friends ram, and instead get some Super Talent, depending on the timings. But that is an awesome video card, I would highly recommend going with that. As for the quad cores, I'm gonna try to not suggest anything, as I don't have much experience with them. Good luck though!

the q6600 should suit you fine. you can always go pick up an aftermarket cooler and OC it once you feel the need...

the gtx 260 (make sure it has 216 core processors!!!) should do you fine

you never know when you will need that spare cash ;)

Yea, save yourself a ton of money and get that setup with the Q6600 from your friend. That should make a very nice gaming rig.

Would there be a huge difference in the performance between the 6600 and the 9550?

Also I gots me another question. I don't know the exact model of the PSU that he has, but I really wouldn't wanna spend another $100-200 on a new one. I think that the wattage on his is at least 500, he might have said about 550. I know that the amperage counts for more, but I don't got that info on me. Same with the brand name, sorry :(. Just going out on a whim, would that PSU be able to keep up with everything that I'm throwing at it?

That is a pretty good laptop though, as long as you don't plan on gaming too much on it.
That's what the desktop is for. ;)

Would there be a huge difference in the performance between the 6600 and the 9550?

Also I gots me another question. I don't know the exact model of the PSU that he has, but I really wouldn't wanna spend another $100-200 on a new one. I think that the wattage on his is at least 500, he might have said about 550. I know that the amperage counts for more, but I don't got that info on me. Same with the brand name, sorry :(. Just going out on a whim, would that PSU be able to keep up with everything that I'm throwing at it?
The Q9550 is faster in most benches, but it's not a huge difference.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550/Q9450 - 45nm Prevails

Compare Core 2 Q9550 Quad Core Processor, Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor

The power supply may be OK as long as it's a quality unit. The GTX 260 needs at least 500W w/ 36A @ 12V.

I talked to my buddy last night and he said that the PSU was an Enermax, still not sure of the model though. Ugh... Also it is not 550 W but rather 535, so I was looking around and I'm pretty sure that his model is the EG565P-VE. It looks almost identical to the one that he has.

Thanks again.

EDIT: I think I'm going to end up buying the Q6600 from my friend. After thinking about it and seeing those benchmarks(thanks AtomicRooster) the difference really doesn't condone an extra $150 in my opinion.

I guess the final piece to the puzzle would be the PSU. With the extra money I now have available, I'm leaning towards just getting a new one. I really have never delved too far into the world of power supplies, so if anyone would be able to guide me or at least get me started that would be awesome.:)

You guys have been a great help, thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom