New here: Is this a good deal on a gaming system?

kbreese

Solid State Member
I don't want to say where I configured this because I don't want people to think I work for them. Honestly, I am just a consumer who's looking for some feedback if this is a good deal or not for a semi-budget gaming system.

The total came to $1005.00 which includes Free Fedex grd shipping and

-CASE: New!! NZXT Beta Gaming Mid-Tower Case

-POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: 635 Watts Power Supplies (Sigma Shark SP-635W PSU - SLI Ready)

-CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢II X4 955 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

-COOLING FAN : Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

-MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte MA770T-UD3P AM3 DDR3 770 Chipset 1666+/1333/1066 with PCIe slot SATA RAID MB w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394, & 7.1Audio

-MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Dominator)

-VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 4870 PCI-E 16X 1GB DDR5 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

-HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

-Optical Drive: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (Black Color)

-SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE

-SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers

-NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

-KEYBOARD: PS2 MULTIMEDIA INTERNET CONTROL KEYBOARD (BLACK COLOR)

-MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

-Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

USB PORT: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

-OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)

-Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chasis with High Perormance Thermal Compound

-FREEBIES: FREE! (Halo 2) Game

-SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Build yourself and get a better system while saving cash. Also, take some cash away from the CPU, and put it towards the video card. The video card is the most important part in a gaming computer. Also, that power supply is crap. Get a corsair, or another reputable brand.

Thanks but I have no interest or time to build it myself. I've priced setups before with building it myself and the price difference is not much and you have to order parts from all over, and wait for each part to arrive and than assemble it and you don't have a warranty on the whole system. Honestly in my opinion thats only for people who actually enjoy assembling things. I'd rather place one order and open one box, plug it in the wall and am ready to go.

As far as the power supply, I changed it to this:
650 Watts Power Supplies (Corsair CMPSU-650TX - Quad SLI Ready)

Total now comes to $1037.00

As far as the video card, I thought that was a good card, but how about this change:

CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢II X3 720 Black Edition Triple-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 1792MB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

that total comes to $1050.00

That might be an affiliate sight, but thats not the link I go to. My monitor is an old school CRT 19" ViewSonic Optiquest Q95 that I have had for about 10 years and has performed flawlessly. It still looks as good or better than some of the newer monitors I've seen.

You can get a GTS 250, 9800 or a 4850 as a graphics card. It will perform fine at your resolution and it would save you money.

The only thing is, although it works like new right now, my monitor could go anyday in which case I would get a bigger flat panel display so I don't want to limit myself based on my current monitor.

Regarding the system and pricing in general is it a good deal or can I get a better system for less elsewhere?

Thanks but I have no interest or time to build it myself. I've priced setups before with building it myself and the price difference is not much and you have to order parts from all over, and wait for each part to arrive and than assemble it and you don't have a warranty on the whole system. Honestly in my opinion thats only for people who actually enjoy assembling things. I'd rather place one order and open one box, plug it in the wall and am ready to go.

As far as the power supply, I changed it to this:
650 Watts Power Supplies (Corsair CMPSU-650TX - Quad SLI Ready)

Total now comes to $1037.00

As far as the video card, I thought that was a good card, but how about this change:

CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢II X3 720 Black Edition Triple-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 1792MB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

that total comes to $1050.00

That is an AWESOME video card. That should pretty much max out anything at at least 60 fps (depending on resolution). I'm sure it would last you for quite a while though :D

I'm liking that second config with the Phenom X3 720 and GTX 275. The 720 is easily overclockable to 3.1GHz+. But the Phenom X4 955 is a killer CPU that performs really well and is easily overclockable too.

Hell, get the X4 955 and the GTX 275 setup. You'll be able to play anything you throw at it. :D

I'm liking that second config with the Phenom X3 720 and GTX 275. The 720 is easily overclockable to 3.1GHz+. But the Phenom X4 955 is a killer CPU that performs really well and is easily overclockable too.

Hell, get the X4 955 and the GTX 275 setup. You'll be able to play anything you throw at it. :D

Yes, also I would recommend a quad core over a tri core, especially seeing as there isn't much of a difference in price. I've also heard about some problems with the phenom tri cores not wanting to work right in vista and xp 64 bit. They supposedly just BSOD several minutes after startup, so I would suggest avoiding those. I don't know if it applies to the black edition though. I do know that it didn't happen with the quad cores though.

Back
Top Bottom