Graphics card

That's what I did! :D However I went with the 260, which is basically a rebranded 9800GTX+. However, it does perform better, and is shorter. It's also only slightly longer. And now, if you buy an EVGA one, you get cryostasis with it free! But I believe they also made the die smaller, which increases stability and overclockability.

No, the 260 is not a rebranded 9800GTX+. It is a completely different chipset. The GTX 260 come in a 55nm architecture and a 65nm architecture.

Rohan I think he meant 250. As that would fit his "rebranded" and size descriptions more accurately.

That's what I did! :D However I went with the 260, which is basically a rebranded 9800GTX+. However, it does perform better, and is shorter. It's also only slightly longer. And now, if you buy an EVGA one, you get cryostasis with it free! But I believe they also made the die smaller, which increases stability and overclockability.
Close, but not quite. The GTS 250 is pretty much a rebadged 9800GT G92 based card, but with a die shrink and other small changes. Surprisingly, it performs a bit better than the 9800GTX+. A GTX 260 is a whole new build based on the GT200 core. It's essentially a de-tuned GTX 280.

Hopefully I will be able to confirm this. I have just ordered a GTS 250 to SLI with a 9800GTX+:

Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1G
Gigabyte GTS 250 1G

This hopefully will be running on my current system:

Intel i7 920
ASUS Rampage II Extreme x58
Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1G
12GB Corsair RAM 1333
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

Not Overclocked
---------------------------------------------------------

Works just fine. no issues or fiddling with anything at all.

Source: http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=34861

:)

Yup, that's what a lot of the reviews are saying you can do. Matching up a GTS 250 and a 9800 series card works fine and dandy.

Or if you dont mind risking a card, you can manually reflash one to another (Reflash 9800 to 250), and you would be able to SLI.
Thats what people suggested for the people who have an 8800GT and can only get an 9800GT.

Close, but not quite. The GTS 250 is pretty much a rebadged 9800GT G92 based card, but with a die shrink and other small changes. Surprisingly, it performs a bit better than the 9800GTX+. A GTX 260 is a whole new build based on the GT200 core. It's essentially a de-tuned GTX 280.
That's what I meant. very sorry about the typo. I mean the GTS250.
Rohan I think he meant 250. As that would fit his "rebranded" and size descriptions more accurately.
This. ^^^
you can't because they aren't the same chip set

Yes you most definitely can. L2Google :rolleyes:

Or if you dont mind risking a card, you can manually reflash one to another (Reflash 9800 to 250), and you would be able to SLI.
Thats what people suggested for the people who have an 8800GT and can only get an 9800GT.

Why would yo do that? They should SLI without reflashing :-/

Back
Top Bottom