Graphics card

Silent Wolf

In Runtime
Ok, I know this is a stupid question but... Whats the difference between sli and regular?
I know what your thinking... Are you kidding me, he must be retarded.

F.Y.I. This is wolfs brother. :D he said you guys would have a better answer.
P.S. I'm 12.

He gave me his old Geforce graphics card and it supports SLI and so does my mother board.

SLI = Scalable Link Interface

It's really just multiple graphics cards stringed along for extra performance or dedicated graphics/physics processing.

Regular setup is..well....regular :D

The ATI equivalent of SLI is called CrossFire.

EDIT: Do note that SLI requires two (or three) of the exact same card (manufacturer variation is acceptable but not prefered) While CrossFire allows cards of the same "family" IE: 4870 and a 4850 - The 48xx family. The only Nvidia cards that can differ and still be SLI'd are the 8800's and 9800's because they both run on the G92 GPU.
Also, SLI and CrossFire do not exactly "double" or "triple" the performance of the card you had initially.

You also have to remember that you will need an SLI bridge and a powerful enough PSU.

What card/mobo are you talking about?

P.S im 13 ha ha

SLI = Scalable Link Interface

It's really just multiple graphics cards stringed along for extra performance or dedicated graphics/physics processing.

Regular setup is..well....regular :D

The ATI equivalent of SLI is called CrossFire.

EDIT: Do note that SLI requires two (or three) of the exact same card (manufacturer variation is acceptable but not prefered) While CrossFire allows cards of the same "family" IE: 4870 and a 4850 - The 48xx family. The only Nvidia cards that can differ and still be SLI'd are the 8800's and 9800's because they both run on the G92 GPU.
Also, SLI and CrossFire do not exactly "double" or "triple" the performance of the card you had initially.

Also, you can pair together a GTS250 and 9800GTX+ if they both have the same amount of dedicated memory. :D

:O Oh yeah, they use the same GPU. Different Core clock interestingly, it might cause some OS issues if you don't clock them right :S

I would have just gone with a GTX+ all in all. Near price of that 9800GT with way more performance and features.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130376

That's what I did! :D However I went with the 250, which is basically a rebranded 9800GTX+. However, it does perform better, and is shorter. It's also only slightly longer. And now, if you buy an EVGA one, you get cryostasis with it free! But I believe they also made the die smaller, which increases stability and overclockability.

Back
Top Bottom