Installing Windows on Hard Drive

jdrum10j

Baseband Member
In the next week or so, I'm going to be building my first computer. I was wondering about some steps following the actual physical completion of the build.

My board requires me to purchase a seperate video card and I'll be adding a CD/DVD burner, as well. Once I plug everything up (hard drive, video card, CD drive, etc.) will it be recognized by the board automatically? My main question is, will I be able to use my Windows installation CD to install the OS or will I need to load it on to the hard drive before dropping it into my new computer?

Like I said, it's my first build!

Thanks.

Yup, you just install all the components, boot it up, and off you go. The BIOS should recognize and initialize all the hardware at first boot.

Okay, perfect.

I wondered if I would need drivers installed before the CD drive would work and what not.

Thanks!

Nope. It will boot up without mobo drivers and everything will work right off providing nothing's DOA. :p Should be good to go. What video card are you getting. :)

Awesome.

I'm not certain yet actually... I'm trying to keep it cheap since the computer's going to be used for recording music rather than gaming or multimedia (movies).

Don't need anything flashy. I might find a board w/ on-board graphics...

Awesome.

I'm not certain yet actually... I'm trying to keep it cheap since the computer's going to be used for recording music rather than gaming or multimedia (movies).

Got this for my sister's computer. ASUS 8400GS

Yea, if you're not doing any gaming, you can probably get by just fine using the integrated graphics. You can get some decent graphics depending on the board such as Nvidia 8200 and ATI HD 3200 chipsets.

Awesome.

A bit off topic, but what recording hardware are you using? If you haven't purchased anything yet, I highly recommend Alesis USB/Firewire mixers.

Back
Top Bottom