sound card

pepzsoduh

In Runtime
I'm thinking about getting this sound card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102021
but i dont really understand the specifications and i had a few questions,
what does it mean when it says the channels are 7.1?
How many lines are there to connect it to speakers?
What does it mean when it says the SPDIF ports are TOSLINK
IS it compatible with Windows Vista Ultimate?
How is it connected to the speakers?

THanks

First off, that card is overkill for 99% of computer users out there. What is your need for a card that expensive? Do you have some omgzsupermassive speaker setup? If you aren't sure what 7.1 is, then I'm guessing not. A standard sound card should do if you just need, well, a sound card.

Great post dude_56013. Very helpful. :rolleyes:

7.1 is a surround sound technology that has 7 channels of sound in the left, right, center, left surround, right surround, left rear, right rear positions. It also has a single channel (.1) that is used for a sub-woofer.

That particular card has 5 standard 3.5mm output jacks for speakers.

The SPDIF ports are optical and use a TOSLINK (optical) cable. It's called TOSLINK as it was created by Toshiba and is short for TOShiba-LINK.

It is fully compatible with Vista.

Most speaker setups will simply plug into the green port on the back of the card.

What are you looking to do with the sound card? Play games, listen to music, watch movies?

Those are both great cards and also mighty expensive.

Great post dude_56013. Very helpful. :rolleyes:

Didn't have time to give him 15 suggestions for cards....had to establish the fact of why he thought he need 7.1 in the first place...which he doesn't since his speakers are 5.1. Plus, we needed to know what he's using it for hence the "What is your need for a card that expensive? Do you have some omgzsupermassive speaker setup?" part. But eh. Me being speedy = me coming off as unhelpful and rude.

/facepalm @ myself.

OP: What slots do you have open on your MB?

Back
Top Bottom