For all the people with power supply questions.

It's a pretty difficult task choosing the perfect power supply. You can't have too much or too little. This article helped me greatly and I hope it does for you. It takes actual draw in power and even gives you the cost of running your card for a year.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122-4.html

I usually go with super overkill then I don't have to worry about it. My current system I ordered a 750 watt power supply, but it was dead right out of the box. I'm using a 610 watt supply right now, but the 750 will go in once it gets returned under warranty.

It is, I must say, more economical to have a power supply that's just right not to big, not to small. But, if you are going to make a mistake, go with one that is too big if anything.

If I'm not mistaken, can't you run a 1000 Watt PSU with Active technology in system not drawing more than 400 Watts and not get a rise in your electric bill? I always thought this was the case; am I wrong?

If I'm not mistaken, can't you run a 1000 Watt PSU with Active technology in system not drawing more than 400 Watts and not get a rise in your electric bill? I always thought this was the case; am I wrong?

If you are using a 1000watt power supply and your computer only uses 400watts then it is using only 400 watts. Same with a 500 watt supply using 400 watts.

Your power supply only takes what it needs.

If it's active. I was kind of referencing the people who go and buy PSUs from no-name brands (that may turn out to be passive) that have a crap-ton of watts just because they think bigger is better. Yes, I understand that newer, reputable PSUs are active and only take what they need.

One thing is for sure, you want to get a good quality power supply. It does after all power everything else in your system.

Back
Top Bottom