Good graphics card for 130 and under?

newjacksm

In Runtime
Well I am stacking up my computer I've been putting so much into it the pass month and the only thing I really dont have is a good graphics card. I have an ATI HD 2400 pro just to really watch movies. I want to start getting back into PC Gaming, the only thing really stopping me is my LCD TV doesnt support alot of good resolutions. Its highest resolution is 1360x768 and to my understanding a lot of games dont really support that resolution?

Anyways I really want to get a good card for either 130 or under. Thanks, I have been out of the graphics card world for quite some time.

First of all we need to know what motherboard and power supply you have. Please list manufacturer and output voltages and amps.

EDIT:

Assuming you have an available PCIe slot for a graphics card and a power supply of at least 450W w/ 24A @ 12V, this would be a very nice choice: EVGA GeForce GTS 250 512MB

The GTS 250 is a good card for under $130, but the HD 4850 performs at the same level and is much cheaper. I would recommend that and it would be fine for your resolution.

But like AR said, we would need to know the rest of your specs.

The GTS 250 is a good card for under $130, but the HD 4850 performs at the same level and is much cheaper. I would recommend that and it would be fine for your resolution.

But like AR said, we would need to know the rest of your specs.
Well, the 4850 is a bit under it. I would recommend the 250. Mine should be here on tuesday, if you want I could take some benchmarks for you or something.

The GTS 250 is a rebranded 9800GTX+, which performs at the same level as the HD 4850.

Asus ENGTS 250 Review

So the ENGTS does for the most part, perform better than a 9800GTX+. Why not just call it a "Super 9800GTX++?" The simple answer is because why would any respectable company give their product that name? Let's be serious now. NVIDIA has been getting a lot of grief from all this renaming. While they are doing it again, at least it's to put a stop to it. As most of you know, NVIDIA will have 2 main series; GTS and GTX. GTX is for enthusiasts, and GTS is for people a little more budget conscious. To tell you the truth, I'm glad they made another G92 card, simply because it allows consumers to purchase a decent card which is good value.

Asus's ENGTS 250 performed far better than what I expected. What I was expecting was a glorified 9800GTX+, but what I got was a killer card that overclocked like nobody's business, and it required less power!

I have an

ASUS M3N78-EM- Motherboard
I am going to be getting a bigger power supply right now i am running a 550W BFG
Reason being I think I am going to need a bigger power supply is because I am running 3 HDD and I am going to be adding another (1TB), I am also running a AMD Phenom II 940 BE

The GTS 250 is a rebranded 9800GTX+, which performs at the same level as the HD 4850.
GTS 250 is marginally faster, due to the smaller die and revised PCB. Also, it only needs 1 power connection. 4850 is cheaper, but not as fast. Also, it doesn't have physx or cuda support.
I have an

ASUS M3N78-EM- Motherboard
I am going to be getting a bigger power supply right now i am running a 550W BFG
Reason being I think I am going to need a bigger power supply is because I am running 3 HDD and I am going to be adding another (1TB)

I think 550 should be fine. Don't know for sure though.

If we focus on what is likely to be the target resolution of 1680x1050, the Radeon HD 4850 ties its direct competition, the GTS 250 512MB, the Radeon HD 4850 leads more often than it trails or loses. The 1GB GTS 250 does edge out the 4850 in one more benchmark, but it does cost $20 more and we haven't tested the 1GB 4850 which might make the difference.

We've recommended the 4850 over the 9800 GTX+ in the past, and we'll continue to do so now that it's called the GTS 250. But the extra memory does help out, especially if the card is to be used for 1920x1200 on a budget (or maybe with an HDTV).
GTS 250 review

GTS 250 is marginally faster, due to the smaller die and revised PCB. Also, it only needs 1 power connection. 4850 is cheaper, but not as fast. Also, it doesn't have physx or cuda support.
There is no difference between the 9800GTX+ and the GTS 250, stop believing Nvidia's slides. There was no die shrink between the two, and no revised PCB for the 512MB version. The only difference is that a lot of the board partners are now using non reference coolers, presumably to cut costs as the 9800GTX+'s cooler was very good.

Back
Top Bottom