Who here uses linux?

Linux is nice if you can't afford to make Bill Gates richer, and tends to run fast on a slower machine.

I have 3 XP licenses, only one in use right now. I use linux because I like it, not because windows costs too much.

Correct. There is no reason for me to switch to Linux. I've seen it and toyed with it and was not impressed. Windows run just fine and does everything I need it to do. :D

OK. that's fine with me if it's what you want, but I definitely prefer linux.

Correct. There is no reason for me to switch to Linux. I've seen it and toyed with it and was not impressed. Windows run just fine and does everything I need it to do. :D

Same here. However, I do install it from time to time on my laptop when I get bored (its just for surfing the web).

He just wanted to see what it looked like. I thought the same the first time I used it, but I am glad I did.

LOL yeah...pretty much.

[Hooking light saber back on my belt]

Be nice to Jedi Master Atomic Rooster, he has the power to use his light saber and strike you down!

Kidding aside, you will find AR to be a cool member of the Computer Forums. Everyone has their OS preferences.

Yeah, but if you're anything like me, you've got to install all of the extras.

Yes I am exactly like that, but probably more so.
I used the program utility to install EVERY available open source application. LOL a big hard drive actually paid off.

I remember using, was it 5 debian disks to install. It seemed to take forever. But you are right Ubuntu, along with quite a few other Linux distros are basically Debian.

LOL yeah. just don't make the mistake of downloading the CD mirrors. I did and ended up with 38 of them. That was pretty funny though. I went to burn the disk because it said 'download completed', did the first, and then it said 'disk 1/38 completed' I was like 'wtf?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!' for about 30 secs before i saw what i had done.

I ran Linux Red Hat 7 (I think it was 7) for a while. I currently run XP.

I would say Linux is more for those who know computers and enjoy tinkering with things. Windows is designed toward a more computer illiterate audience (no offense to anyone as I prefer Windows). I don't know enough to make Linux actually fun.

I would say Linux is more for those who know computers and enjoy tinkering with things. Windows is designed toward a more computer illiterate audience (no offense to anyone as I prefer Windows). I don't know enough to make Linux actually fun.

Actually, that's not how I see it. You don't have to be a tinkerer to use Linux, you just need to want what it offers.

I'm currently running Linux on both my desktop (Ubuntu Jaunty) and laptop (Arch). When my Mini-ITX parts arrive during the week and I've built that up, it will also be running Ubuntu and will be acting as a server of sorts.

If I was the network manager at the school I work in, instead of being the junior technician, I'd probably roll out a Linux system in there if I had the chance :p

I ran Linux Red Hat 7 (I think it was 7) for a while. I currently run XP.

Well, this used to be the case, but not so much anymore. You can use the debian application manager to download all kinds of new games. Plus the new wine is no longer emulation, but it is a windows compatibility layer, so it can play many older games. Try it out. You will see that it has progressed a lot since then. Plus Red Hat is more of an office type thing, so ubuntu, debian, and fedora (red hat based, and managed) would be much better for playing around with.

I had Ubuntu on one drive and XP on the other. I loved it until I had to remove the Ubuntu drive. I had to re-install XP again cause it wouldn't boot from the windows drive!

I'll set it up again but I wanna make sure that if/when I remove the Ubuntu drive I can still boot into windows.

Back
Top Bottom