More range on my router?

The switch doesn't have DHCP. The router assigns the ip addresses on the internal network and translates them in to the one address the public sees. You'll have to have a router connected to the modem, first. Get one of your friends to let you use a spare router they have and connect that upstairs.

My network is basically structure like the following; modem from time warner hooked to the netgear router which has a desktop, a 360 and another desktop wired to it, additionally I have my own PC on the to floor that has a wireless card hooked to it and 4 laptops that connect to it wirelessly as well as several small electronics like my iPod or psp. From my iPod as I type this it's barely connected and as stated as the primary concern I want access to my router from school wirelessly which is roughly 100~ meters away, however I want to bump the range of my router up as much as I can so I'm moving it upstairs.

So, You are moving the modem and the router upstairs and you are going to connect the modem to cable coax upstairs?

[edit]If you have your modem upstairs, connected to time warner, and the router connected to it, you could run ethernet cable from the router to a switch downstairs. All the wired stuff downstairs could be connected to the switch, and with wireless stuff should still be able to connect to the wireless router upstairs.[end edit]

So, You are moving the modem and the router upstairs and you are going to connect the modem to cable coax upstairs?

[edit]If you have your modem upstairs, connected to time warner, and the router connected to it, you could run ethernet cable from the router to a switch downstairs. All the wired stuff downstairs could be connected to the switch, and with wireless stuff should still be able to connect to the wireless router upstairs.[end edit]

Well I was actually wanted to just bring the router up stairs as I think my dad wants to avoid to much movement. I under the impression that the switch won't work like that so I'll probably have to use the old router either upstairs as an access point with an antenna later on or have the netgear upstairs with no antenna and hope it reaches.

Back
Top Bottom