Please HELP...Broken Video Card & Broken Brain...

Lol thats is true, I think I will just put another 512mb ram in there and a new video card, not wanting to get to crazy updating an out of date system is why I only wanted to spend about $50-75 on a video card but what is the best for the money even if i am spending about $100 would it be the SAPPHIRE 100228L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit ($95)? Or the POWERCOLOR HD2600XT 512M AGP Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit ($60)? The PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready is this a good brand for PSU ($70)??? Or Is there something better in the same price range??? Thank you again guys for all your help!!!

I would suggest getting the 2600XT and maybe another 512MB of memory as you said it was going to be for some of the kid's games.

The PC Power & Cooling is a very good power supply, it's just overkill for that system. You really don't need any more than 400W. This one will should work well: Rosewill RD400-2-DB 400W

Here's a higher quality unit: FSP Group SAGA+ 400R 400W. FSP has been in the game for many years and make a quality PSU. They are also an OEM manufacture for many brand names such as OCZ and Mushkin.

Is rosewell a good brand though? I am tired of buying brands that are not as well known and having them die on me. I know that Corsair and Thermaltake are supposedly good but how about Rosewell? What are some other good brands??? Thanks again guys

You all have been a TON of help I really do appreciate it, you guys know A LOT more than I do and I am really glad that you are willing to take the time to explain this all to me :) Thanks again to ALL of you!!!

Thank you Rooster :) I think I am going to go for the POWERCOLOR HD2600XT 512M AGP Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card ($60) & COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3 500W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply ($30) --- Is this an okay brand? & Is there any thing specific I need for ram/memory for this mobo? Or will any do? If it wasn't for you guys I wouldn't even know that my mobo was an APG...You guys are way better at this than me lol Thanks Again!!!

Yea, Cooler Master makes a good power supply. As for the memory, you'll need to match the speed of the memory that's already in it.

About the memory, I see that board has only two slots for memory. Do they each have a stick of memory in them? You said you have 1.5GB, so I'm thinking you have 1x 1GB and 1x 512MB stick. Can you check that for us? if the memory has any stickers on them, post up what they say please.

yep your right there are 2 in there 1gb & 1 512, The 1 gig is a SuperTalent? and the 512 is from an old compaq that I put in there to try and make more ram. Do I need duplicate ones??? If not could I just buy 1 2gb stick? If so what one would work good with all of my components in there and the ones I am going to get.

Is there a specific type that fits my mobo? I went to new egg and there are lots of different types and sizes.....I am sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to understand what I am doing and make sure I am doing it right, thanks again rooster

Find a stick of the same size that matches the 1GB SuperTalent memory. It should say on the sticker what speed it is. Something like DDR333, DDR400, etc.

So I shouldn't mix the speeds? Or can it still work to mix them? I tried to find an identical stick but I don't know if they still sell them, does the brand have to match? Or just the speed? Is there any speed that my mobo cant handle or recognize?

Back
Top Bottom