building my own copmuter

pepzsoduh

In Runtime
i'm building my own computer and have spent the last month or so researching how. I'm primarily going to use it for gaming but also internet access and downloading files. If you could give me any advice on what components/parts to use i'd appreciate it. Price is not much of an issue, nothing above 2,500 dollars though.
thanks

Hi there, we just need a few questions answered first.

- Is this just for the base unit? Do you need a monitor, keyboard etc? Do you need an operating system? If not, what will you be using?
- What is your monitor's native resolution
- Do you overclock?

And don't worry, you won't have to go anywhere near $2500, you can build something very fast for well under $1000.

yes it is for the base unit, i need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. i'll be using either windows vista home premium or ultimate not sure yet. i dont fully understand what overclocking is yet or how to do it. i'd appreciate any advice/information you have on it. also is it possible to get all of the components from newegg.com if not where can i get them?
i also have a few questions about the components you gave me, i searched the intel xeon processor on intel.com but it said it only had 3 ghz, what does it mean when you say it's at 4.1GHz 1.352v lapped?
2nd question- what does it mean when you say the motherboard is pencil modded, and 0903 bios. I know bios is the boot firmware but what does it mean when you say 0903?
I didnt look through all the parts so i'll probably have more questions later when i do.
thanks
also could you do me a favor and put what each part you gave is next to it? i'd appreciate it as i'm not very familiar with the brands etc.
lastly is the motherbaord you gave me crossfire/SLI compatible?

yes it is for the base unit, i need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. i'll be using either windows vista home premium or ultimate not sure yet. i dont fully understand what overclocking is yet or how to do it. i'd appreciate any advice/information you have on it. also is it possible to get all of the components from newegg.com if not where can i get them?
thanks
also i want the motherboard to be compatible with crossfire or SLI or both
How about this?

CPU: Phenom II 940
Motherboard: Foxconn 790GX
RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 1066
GPU: HD 4870 512MB (So cheap right now, I don't think it's worth the extra $$ to move up to the GTX 260 Core 216 or the HD 4870 1GB.)
PSU: OCZ 500W modular
Case: CM RC-690
Disk drive: LG 22x
Monitor: Acer 24"

Total is $881 before rebates.

I didn't pick out a hard drive as I don't know how much space you need. I'll leave you to decide that.

yes it is for the base unit, i need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. i'll be using either windows vista home premium or ultimate not sure yet. i dont fully understand what overclocking is yet or how to do it. i'd appreciate any advice/information you have on it. also is it possible to get all of the components from newegg.com if not where can i get them? Also i searched the processor you gave me on intel.com but it says it has only 3 ghz. what do u mean when you say its at 4.1 ghz 1.352v lapped + TU120E can you have two processors?
thanks
also i want the motherboard to be compatible with crossfire or SLI or both

Thats not what he gave you that is his system. Anything under that line is a signature which most members on here use to list the components of their computer. And where it says that it is only 3.0 Ghz but his says 4.1 Ghz. That is what he means by overclocking. The processor comes stock at 3.0 Ghz but he increased the speed of it by overclocking it. Lapped means that it has been sanded down to create a flatter and smoother surface to contact the heatsink in order to lower the temperatures of the chip. and the TU120E is an abbreviation for Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. That is the heatsink he uses to cool his processor and is one of if not the best air cooler you can buy. :D:D

:D no problem

Now when you say price is not an issue Are you really meaning that you just want a system that can play all the games out there well or are you saying that you want the best system out there and can crush any games out there?

What type of games do you play?
What size monitor are you planning on getting?

Back
Top Bottom