How much power do I need?

foothead

Omnicide now.
Hi. I am going to build a new computer for light to moderate gaming. I am going to use a 3.2 GHz AMD phenom II x4 CPU and an NVIDIA geforce 9800 gfx card. I am wondering exactly how much power I need. I have never built a computer nearly this powerful before, so maybe you can help me out. I currently have a 580w, but I am sure that isn't enough, so I am thinking a 700w, but am still unsure about that. what do I really need? thanks.

Overall Wattage is usually the second thing you look at.

How many watts are on the 12v rail is what matters most, which is displayed as amps on a power supply. Do you have a link/specs of the current power supply you have now? 580 watts should be plenty depending on your 12v rail

WOW that's surprising. A friend told me that i would need like 800, and I thought that 580 wasn't much. I plan to do some overclocking too, so will it be enough for that? I want to OC to 3.8.

WOW that's surprising. A friend told me that i would need like 800, and I thought that 580 wasn't much. I plan to do some overclocking too, so will it be enough for that? I want to OC to 3.8.

Again, we need the specs/webpage of your current PSU. Depending on where you bought it, you may find it on newegg.com...or the actual product page from the company.

Well regardless of specs 580watt wont be enough to overclock a Phenom II to 3.8ghz so what would be your budget for a new psu?

If it's a quality 580W, you should be fine. Can you tell the make and power outputs of your power supply?

I'm not really sure what model it is, but I know it is at least 2 years old. I bought it for my old gaming rig when its old one burned out. It was only llike $50, so i thnk it might be time for a new one. Ummm... I would rather only spend about $50, but I will go to $100 max if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom