Logical upgrade for MSI R4670

syvmn1

Baseband Member
Hey everyone. I built a computer about 4 months ago and am thinking about the future a little bit. I picked up the 4670 for about $50 while it was on sale at newegg and was thinking about what I should be looking at for an upgrade.

Now don't get me wrong, I realize I just built this computer and I don't plan on getting a GPU for a while yet, but I'm wondering what a good upgrade is for the 4670 so I can keep an eye on prices and make a purchase when the price is right (maybe a year from now).

What I'd like is maybe a 50% improvement over the 4670 and definitely dual monitor support (although most things have that these days).

I've seen good prices on 9000 series stuff and heard good things about the 4870.

Thanks for any help

Specs:

CPU: AMD 5200+ 2.7ghz (OC'd to 2.9)
MB: Asus M3A78-EM
RAM: Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800
PSU: Thermaltake 500W
GPU: MSI R4670
HD: Western Digital 250GB 7200rpm
Case: Old one I had sitting around

I play crysis, The orange box, WOW...all casually

My price is probably $50-60 or so. But bear in mind that this is $50 in a year or so, not current prices.

Looks like a decent system.

I don't really think you can decide on an upgrade unless you're buying now. Things could looks completelely different in a few weeks or months time. Everything will be different in a year.

Don't even think about upgrading your graphics processor right now. You'd be amazed at what's going to be out on the market in a few months never mind an entire year. And by that time, it would be time to upgrade your whole system anyway.

I suppose so. My thought is to first upgrade to a quad core when prices for a 2.6-3.0 quad drop below $100, then upgrade the ram to 8GB (hopefully with something like windows 7, I have XP right now) and then upgrade the video card. I'm perfectly fine being a year or two behind if the price is right.

Dude a 4670 isnt a bad card, you should be good playing with it now especially with the orange box games

Back
Top Bottom