Looking to Sell old P4 Machine

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, I'm looking to sell an old P4 machine (not on here..shipping would be ridiculous). I'm wondering what to charge for it (to a reasonable consumer). It's an socket478 board with a 2.8Ghz (I think) P4. It's got 512MB of RAM. The board and chip are out of an old dell, so the board is a dell. The RAM is brand name Kingston I think (out of a dell and an hp), and it's all wrapped up in an old HP case. It's got a 40GB IDE HDD and an IDE CD Burner. I'm using the 15" flat screen that came with it (when it was originally the HP parts...the MB went on that one, hence the rebuild/salvage) at my work bench for working on computers, and am not looking to sell that unless I can make enough on the computer to get a new 19" (under $100). Basically, I wanted to just cover the parts of another P4 build I did for my grandma (gotta love em :D). Here's the skinny:

Paid $100 for the original system (I'm pretty sure the guy needed drug money, cuz at the time, the monitor alone was worth that)
Paid ~$96 for a new LGA775 MB, 3.0Ghz P4, and 2GB of DDR-400
Total: ~$196

So I've been asking for about $225 for it. I don't know if that's reasonable or not. I guess it depends on who's looking to buy. Even if I can break even on it, I'll still have upgraded that other build for free, which is fine by me. Should I stick with $225 (just the tower, btw...like I said, no monitor), or lower it to $200? I know none of YOU would probably pay $200 for it (cuz we all know what new stuff costs and what not), but would a reasonable person find that price, well....reasonable? :p

Well to be perfectly honest, I was just about to post my Pentium 4 computer on here. It's got a quality stock gateway motherboard, Intel P4 @ 2.6 Ghz Socket 478, 1.5GB DDR 400 RAM, 80GB IDE Drive, 5200 FX "dedicated" graphics card, 7.1 channel audio card, working DVD Burner, and floppy drive. And I was going to be asking $200 for it.

But yes, a reasonable person unknowable about computers would gladly pay that much.

Well to be perfectly honest, I was just about to post my Pentium 4 computer on here. It's got a quality stock gateway motherboard, Intel P4 @ 2.6 Ghz Socket 478, 1.5GB DDR 400 RAM, 80GB IDE Drive, 5200 FX "dedicated" graphics card, 7.1 channel audio card, working DVD Burner, and floppy drive. And I was going to be asking $200 for it.

But yes, a reasonable person unknowable about computers would gladly pay that much.

Yeah, see that's the thing. To us, we'd never pay $200 for a system like I listed--especially when we can buy (if needed) a used one like you talk about with decent ram dedicated cards--but to someone who's not into computers is looking to buy used, it might be just right. Thanks 63083. I'll probably stick right around $200-225 and let someone make an offer if they want to. Not a big deal if I sell it fast or not.

Yeah, see that's the thing. To us, we'd never pay $200 for a system like I listed--especially when we can buy (if needed) a used one like you talk about with decent ram dedicated cards--but to someone who's not into computers is looking to buy used, it might be just right. Thanks 63083. I'll probably stick right around $200-225 and let someone make an offer if they want to. Not a big deal if I sell it fast or not.

I totally know what you mean. I would definitely pay $225 for that machine IF I didn't know anything about computers.

Back
Top Bottom