local area connection error

Celticsfan

Banned
Guys, I have an older PC that I use as a test PC. The OS is XP. The problem I have with this PC is I constantly get local area connection error upon bootup. All my cables are connected securely. I have to shutdown/ startup this PC multiple times before I don't see the little network PC's with the local area connection error in my system tray. What the hell could be causing this as it is very aggravating to power up/down the PC b4 I can use it.

Ideas?

thx

Well, first of all, does it actually give you an error message or is it just the network icon with a red X in the system tray? Also, how do you have it setup? Is it directly connected to a modem or router?

There are neither a yellow ! nor a red X in computer mgmnt. I just tried updating drivers through hardware update wizard. I have never done this before this way but I just did. It came back saying "the wizard has finished installing the software for DLINK DFE-530TX+ PCI FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER (REV f).". Does that mean it actually needed to be updated or would the wizard of came back saying drivers are up to date? Please let me know.

Also, If the drivers were updated, is there a way to tell what version the drivers were before i tried updating them to see if they truely were updated?

thx

Try running a virus scan, and if that doesnt work try to re-install your modem installize

It's not a modem...that would be dial up/fax. It's his ethernet adapter that's the concern here.

bruin, so it you power down/up, you can get it to work? Or what? I'm not really understanding you on that part...? Or do you mean if you power down/up, the error message just goes away?

Back
Top Bottom