What programs should i put on my moms laptop

Juice1

Fully Optimized
Basically, putting fresh XP on a laptop. Just for email/online shopping i guess. What programs would be good, besides the OS, (duh) office and anti virus.

firefox/chrome
ccleaner (run weekly scans of the system)
smart defrag (same, weekly defrags, they only take a few minutes)
file extracting program (7zip, izarc)
media playing program (VLC media player)

thats pretty much it.... let her find anything else she needs ;)

I'd say it's fine with just Office and a good free antivirus. If she's fairly new to computers, having less to deal with would be easier on her. If she needs anything down the road, then you, or even your mom, can download and install it.

Winrar
Don't get Ccleaner it doesn't really do much, just do this every week

1. Open Run
2. Type %temp
3. Highlight all the documents
4. Delete :)

She doesnt know how to find anything. Sure she works at a computer all day, but she just calls the helpdesk for everything. I'm not volunteering to be her helpdesk. I despise microsoft at this point.

I think i had ccleaner on one of my computers, and it always prevented the computer from hibernating. Lol

But i guess ill put the zip things ill use winrar though. Powerdvd for the media thing

Is chrome any good? Never tried it. I love safari but it eats resource... firefox is eh

I'd say it's fine with just Office and a good free antivirus. If she's fairly new to computers, having less to deal with would be easier on her. If she needs anything down the road, then you, or even your mom, can download and install it.
Shes not new to computers, she had many computers, she just never learned how to fix them. She knows how to press the start button and then internet or outlook, and thats all she knows how to do, cus thats all she need to do.

Sounds like all she needs is the antivirus and Office if she uses it. If she doesn't watch any DVD movies on her comp, she'll be fine with just Windows Media Player. I like to keep things simple. That way if something does goof up, you don't have to jump through hoops to get it fixed.

Well im just gona put the powerDVD on, since we might end up using it as a portable dvd player if we end up on a long car trip.

Is there some kind of program i could put for her to easily sync her sony walkman phone with some music? Like a sony program

Winrar
Don't get Ccleaner it doesn't really do much, just do this every week

1. Open Run
2. Type %temp
3. Highlight all the documents
4. Delete :)

I disagree, considering that Ccleaner is also free. I does more than clean temp files, plus it does a decent job cleaning the registry.

Back
Top Bottom