Very Quick PSU Selection Question

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well if you look back at my old post from yesterday, I felt very confident about the PSU I selected...because it's a great one. However, I'm not trying to decide if maybe I can get by with something a bit cheaper.

Basically, here's the system:
Phenom 9600
Foxconn 780V
A-Data 2x2GB DDR2-800
Older IDE HDD
Older IDE CD/DVD
NO GRAPHICS CARD (EVER...none will ever be put in!)

So can I go with this Thermaltake (which has to be good...2100+ people have reviewed it!), or should I stick to this Antec (2 rails, whereas the Thermaltake only has one). I think I can go with the Thermaltake...in fact, it's probably way more than this system even needs. It's 10 bucks cheaper off the bat, and 20 bucks cheaper with the rebate!

That Thermaltake is a great choice. You don't really need more than one 12v rail if you aren't going to be using a graphics card.

That Thermaltake is a great choice. You don't really need more than one 12v rail if you aren't going to be using a graphics card.

Yeah, that was my thought. I figured one HDD, one DVD drive and the other standard stuff wouldn't need more than one...but I just wanted to check. They are so cheap now that if...for some unknown reason...an upgrade was needed in the future, purchasing a new one wouldn't be a big deal anyways.

Thanks!

Well, I know I'll probably be flamed for this, but I have been running this in my mom's PC for 6 months and it's been nothing but rock solid and reliable with stable power.

The amount of 12V rails doesn't really matter, just the total amount of amps on the 12V rail(s).

The amount of 12V rails doesn't really matter, just the total amount of amps on the 12V rail(s).
This. Most manufacturers only virtually split the 12V rail anyway to comply with the ATX standards.

This. Most manufacturers only virtually split the 12V rail anyway to comply with the ATX standards.

But you kind of have to take both sides, too, right? Cuz I mean a 400W PSU with 2 - 12V 18A rails would fair better than a 400W PSU with 1 - 12V 18A rail...? And then to go further, a 350W PSU with 2 - 12V 18A rails may do better than a 450W with 1 - 12V 18A rail; or as you guys are now explaining, a 350W PSU with a large 36A 12V single rail may do better than a 450W with a 12V 18A rail...? Am I getting the gist of it, or are all of these not really comparable? Basically, I get what you are saying, but you still have to take everything into account right?...you can't JUST look at one thing (Wattage, Rails, Amps, Efficiency, etc...)

You're going off into something else. Here's how it is:

Let's say PSU 1 has a single 12V rail with 40 amps. PSU 2 has two 12V rails with 20 amps each. You add them up to equal 40 amps.

40 amps = 40 amps, no matter how many 12V rails you have. If you have multiple rails, you simply add the amps up.

But usually a manufactuer might lie about the amps on two rails. So lets say psu 2 has 2 rails with 20 amps each, on the label it says 12v rails= 432watts

12 x 40amps = 480watts. The psu is lying. 12x 36amps= 432 watts is what the psu is capable of on its 12v rails.

That's where I stop, I don't know anything about how watts and amps work. :D

Back
Top Bottom