Recommend a HSF for an Intel Q9650

The Xigmatek is one of the top coolers on the market. It's hard to beat their price/performance. They are a bit heavy, but they also have an optional backplate mounting system. The backplate comes included with the Dark Night version. Yes, the side duct can, and should be, removed.

It's been a while since I've built a system, the last I'd seen the "thermally advantaged" case was all the rage. I guess with these massive heat sinks thats not true anymore.

The Cooler Master Elite 335 is a great case. The side duct does work well for use with stock, low height heatsinks. With the larger high performance heatsinks, they really aren't needed.

The ZALMAN CNPS7700 works well. It's much better than the OEM cooler. I have a couple of systems that were using those and they stayed nice and cool (quiet too).

The Cooler Master Elite 335 is a great case. The side duct does work well for use with stock, low height heatsinks. With the larger high performance heatsinks, they really aren't needed.

I had to extend the tube as far as it would go and it still has about a 3/4 inch gap between the tube and the fan.

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

Judging by the reviews everyone sure seems to like it.

I'm not debating with Rooster. But the Rosewill kind of seems to be what he's looking for (not necessarily Rosewill).

It's starting to look like I might be better off with a compromise. But, that's why I started this thread, I want to bounce around more ideas that are in just my head. I appricate everyones suggestions and Ideas!

It's interesting, in the top 5 review, the Intel stock HSF is one of the top five with regard to low noise. Too bad it doesn't seem to cut it for heat, at least in my system. The CPU has be stable as a rock though. The only road block that I've run across with Win 7, ironically enough, is the motherboard tweaking software that came with the Intel DP45SG mother doesn't work with Win 7 64 bit.

Hey, I think you are becoming strong with the Force. You were the first to post, and within 2 minutes!

Get either Xiggy AR talked about. I have the standard, and it's amazing! I've got it rigged up with 2-120mm fans :D

Wouldn't trade it for anything :p

...except a TRUE...

Here is an update. I dropped in the Black Knight, it fit well, but just barely. I was hoping for something that wasn't so massive, but it looks like your advice is good.

Dark_Knight.jpg

Here is a shot from a different angle:
Air_flow.jpg

And, while I had the motherboard out, I figured it would be a good idea to enhance the exhaust air flow. Especially with the big heatsink in there. So I removed the case material where the rear fan is and installed a grill. Not the best job, but it works. (Notice the lack of PS/2 ports for the motherboard and mouse)
Rear_fan.jpg

And last but not least the test results. This is after processing video at 95 to 98 percent CPU capacity for about 20 minutes. Looks like about a 10 degree celsius improvement. A much more exceptable max temp.
CPU_Temp_BK.jpg

Back
Top Bottom