Recommend a HSF for an Intel Q9650

Russel1

Daemon Poster
I figured that the stock intel heat sink and fan would be adequite without overclocking. Well, maybe I was wrong. I ran some video processing software to process DV to DVD and I was surprised by how hot the cores got.

I'm not looking for something that can keep the warp drive of the starship enterprise cool. I'm looking for something that is preferably not too heavy and not too loud, but should get the job done. All suggests are welcome.

Here is the processor:
CPU.jpg

And here is the results of about 20 minutes at about 95% CPU load. Notice the max temp readings.

CPUTemp.jpg

I did say not too heavy or big didn't I? ;)

Very nice 63083, but little beyond what I am looking for. Looking at this HSF it occurred to me that I didn't mention the case I'm using: A Cooler Master Elite 335. It is thermally advantaged - a fancy way of saying that it has an opening on the side cover over the CPU with a tube that allows the CPU fan to draw air from outside the case.

The Xigmatek is one of the top coolers on the market. It's hard to beat their price/performance. They are a bit heavy, but they also have an optional backplate mounting system. The backplate comes included with the Dark Night version. Yes, the side duct can, and should be, removed.

If you're interested in something a bit smaller, this is a nice one: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro

I'm not debating with Rooster. But the Rosewill kind of seems to be what he's looking for (not necessarily Rosewill).

Back
Top Bottom