Computer won't turn on, USB has power, PSU is good.

jamaicanbob

Baseband Member
My computer randomly shut off the other day as I was unplugging something from a front USB port, and won't turn back on. The mouse froze for a few minutes, but the clock in the corner kept running. Then, it just shut down without warning.

I got the PSU tested and it is good. I have had this computer built for 5+ years with no problems like this.

**The little USB stick for my mouse has the light on... does this mean the motherboard is ok? **

I am at a loss of where to check for anything right now. Everything was working fine. I double-checked connections and made sure stuff was seated correctly, and even unhooked the front USB ports from the motherboard and took out the CMOS battery for awhile. I also tried unhooking everything except for the power supply, motherboard, ram, and cpu.

Thanks in advance for any help.

When you turn it on, do the fans spin up? Does it POST at all or does it just sit with a completely black screen (no text, logos, nothing...)? Have you tried turning it on with just one stick of RAM in (if you have more than one stick)?

5yrs. old and anything could be wrong like the board itself or the battery. Usually you generally won't be able to start up once the battery on the board goes. Those are small coin sized lithium batteries with a 5yr. max life expectancy.

Without any indication of the initial post that can also spell a failed board component as well where you may see the fans spin for a few seconds and then nothing. By the age it would be most likely one of those two.

Back
Top Bottom