Question on being cheap with an OS

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
If i decided i didnt want to buy another copy of Windows XP, is it possible to use the Product key from my laptop on my Home Built Computer? i know when i fixed my parents computer(new MB, CPU, HD, RAM) I was able to get a copy of XP downloaded onto a cd and use the existing Product key to reinstall it on their computer...

no, you can only use a product key once

why not just go get a FREE copy of windows 7? its legal, and awesome =]

If i decided i didnt want to buy another copy of Windows XP, is it possible to use the Product key from my laptop on my Home Built Computer? i know when i fixed my parents computer(new MB, CPU, HD, RAM) I was able to get a copy of XP downloaded onto a cd and use the existing Product key to reinstall it on their computer...

Kindof, Microsoft states that OEM keys stay with the computer, and you can't transfer them. So legally you can't use it more than once, but theroretically you can!. However, alot of dell, HP, IBM, etc computers, the product keys only work on that specific brand of hardware, so if your planning on using the product key from a sticker of a major brand computer, it's not feasable.

ok so from what i understood out of that, if i decide to turn my laptop into a complete linux machine, i can use the XP OS on my home build pc, correct??

So DJ what your saying is that since its a Compaq laptop i wouldnt be able to, i havent had any issues so far and ive upgraded some of the main hardware in it, like the CPU.

You will not be able to use the key from your laptop on another computer. As noted in the post linked by 01001010, you can download and run the Windows 7 relase candidate. It's good until June 2010 and that would give you time to save for a new OS.

Vista Home Basic is available for $89.99 on Newegg.

You will not be able to use the key from your laptop on another computer. As noted in the post linked by 01001010, you can download and run the Windows 7 relase candidate. It's good until June 2010 and that would give you time to save for a new OS.

Vista Home Basic is available for $89.99 on Newegg.

i said the stuff about windows 7 AR.... :(

Back
Top Bottom