How do I setup a mirror server?

gib65

Baseband Member
Hello,

We have a server in our office network which hosts websites and a MySQL database, and I want to set it up so that it makes back ups of the websites and the database onto a mirror server regularly (maybe once an hour or so). I talked to my boss about it and he'd prefer to keep everything in-house. So I need to know if it's possible to do this with another computer in the office network, preferably mine.

I would like to know:

1) How to setup the server to regularly back up the websites and the database onto my computer.

2) Can this be done even though my computer runs XP.

3) Can I create a folder on my computer that the server thinks is the C:\ drive (or is that necessary)?

Thanks for your help.

Yes.
Yes.
Don't have to.

You could do this with some php code on the first server and sending it to the second where you are backing it up.

Just share server2 space to server1. Tell php to copy the database and files w/e you want to the space provided on server2. Pretty simple code if you need some php help I got free time all this week.

Yes.
Yes.
Don't have to.

You could do this with some php code on the first server and sending it to the second where you are backing it up.

Just share server2 space to server1. Tell php to copy the database and files w/e you want to the space provided on server2. Pretty simple code if you need some php help I got free time all this week.

I'm running Windows Server 2003 and IIS 6.0. Can it run php code without much interpreter/compiler installation/configuration? I've got some VB.NET code running on a few of the websites, so I know that would work.

Also, someone was suggesting to me that I use ntbackup which comes with Windows. Know anything about that?

I'm running Windows Server 2003 and IIS 6.0. Can it run php code without much interpreter/compiler installation/configuration? I've got some VB.NET code running on a few of the websites, so I know that would work.

Also, someone was suggesting to me that I use ntbackup which comes with Windows. Know anything about that?
ntbackup is a built in backup feature for windows. Wiki
Vb might do it. I don't use it much so If you can do it with that by all means go for it. You might be able to do this with a simple batch file. In fact.. I'm 99.9% sure you could do this with a batch file. Unless you would like it to do it automatically at certain times. Which.. Would be harder but I think it would also work with a batch.

Does your server run linux or windows?

Hello,

We have a server in our office network which hosts websites and a MySQL database, and I want to set it up so that it makes back ups of the websites and the database onto a mirror server regularly (maybe once an hour or so). I talked to my boss about it and he'd prefer to keep everything in-house. So I need to know if it's possible to do this with another computer in the office network, preferably mine.

I would like to know:

1) How to setup the server to regularly back up the websites and the database onto my computer.

2) Can this be done even though my computer runs XP.

3) Can I create a folder on my computer that the server thinks is the C:\ drive (or is that necessary)?

Thanks for your help.
My educated guess is that it runs windows :p

Back
Top Bottom