New Microsoft Money (reuse, upgrade or no?)

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
This is a very odd question...mostly because I've never had any I know use Microsoft Money...but anyways, here's the skinny. I've got a customer I need to reinstall XP for (I'll be changing the MB as well, if that's of substance). He uses Microsoft Money (the old version...idk if it used to come with the computers or if it came with office back then or what...but it's the old version..I could probably find out more if needed). Anyways, he uses it to balance his checkbook. So I have to swap out the MB (he broke pins on the PATA port) with an old one I have on hand and then reinstall XP (1-because it probably won't be compatible with the new board, and 2-it's got some viruses/adware and could use a fresh start). I'll be backing everything up before hand but I wanted to check in here first.

He's going to want Microsoft Money back when I reinstall. Now...I'm assuming I can't use the same key (idk if that's what it is...like I said...NO experience with this!) and what not. So when we reinstall, I told him he may have to purchase the new version.

So my question is this, does he need to buy a new version, or can the old one be re-used. If it can, does it need to be uninstalled and deactivated first (which will be a PITA because of the viruses)? And, if a new version is need, will it open previous versions?

And question number two. I believe he also uses microsoft word (old version). It's the same boat here too. Let me know how all of that affects this and if he'll need to buy the new office (or I can try and sway him to OpenOffice).

Thanks all,
Sorry it was so long..but I'm as confused as this post makes it sound.

To my knowledge, Microsoft money is included in the installation of XP. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's all I know. I think he may have to buy the new version. I don't think it's very expensive. Maybe $20?

I'm dual booted. I'm in Vista now. Let me check quick. You may be right...but for some reason I wanna say it comes with Works (which isn't made anymore...but was on a lot of older computers...hence why Money was probably on there cuz I may be wrong in that he might be using Works word processor instead of Word)

It comes with the Windows.
Nice .lol Picture.

(.lol is a copyrighted software manufature company if you attempt to copy .lol in any way you will be sued. Please do not use the format .lol in your Pictures as it is Copy-Righted By 2000-2009 Copy-Right Laws The .lol Includes Pictures,Banners,Music,Advertisements,and the "Intel" Logo
Please remebere intel is a copy-righted Company and in NO WAY are you allowed to use the "intel" banner in any way.
At this time i will this pass. Please remove any Copy-righted Pictures that are .lol {format}
Thank You.

Nope. I just checked my XP boot, and it's not on there.. :| For a moment, I thought that might be right, but now that I think about it, I see Money a lot of places I see Works...maybe that's where it's included...

It comes with the Windows.
Nice .lol Picture.

(.lol is a copyrighted software manufature company if you attempt to copy .lol in any way you will be sued. Please do not use the format .lol in your Pictures as it is Copy-Righted By 2000-2009 Copy-Right Laws The .lol Includes Pictures,Banners,Music,Advertisements,and the "Intel" Logo
Please remebere intel is a copy-righted Company and in NO WAY are you allowed to use the "intel" banner in any way.
At this time i will this pass. Please remove any Copy-righted Pictures that are .lol {format}
Thank You.

You can proberbly use the same key. Also, I'm pretty sure that it Microsoft Money Essentials is included with MS Works.... But dont quote me on that.

So my question is this, does he need to buy a new version, or can the old one be re-used. If it can, does it need to be uninstalled and deactivated first (which will be a PITA because of the viruses)? And, if a new version is need, will it open previous versions?

And question number two. I believe he also uses microsoft word (old version). It's the same boat here too. Let me know how all of that affects this and if he'll need to buy the new office (or I can try and sway him to OpenOffice).

Thanks all,
Sorry it was so long..but I'm as confused as this post makes it sound.
You should be able to install the his old original versions of the software using the original keys. You should then be able to update the software normally through Windows Update.

Thank you dearly AR...that's all I needed to hear! Even if for some reason it doesn't work, I don't think he'll fret having to buy the $20 version...no business or anything...he just uses it to balance his personal checking. I mean, if it were me, I'd tell him to get something else (Quick Books or the like)...or use excel/open office for gosh sakes, but hey...you can't make the horse drink, so I'll let it be.

Back
Top Bottom