New AMD Budget Build

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
I just need an okay from a few people. I haven't built a new computer since the E8400 was the latest and greatest thing, but I have tried to keep up with stuff. I've got a friend who I'm building a new computer for. Basically, his old one is a celeron (<2.0GHz) and is just jam packed full of junk. I told him I could reinstall, but his USB connectors on the mobo are fried (wouldn't even let me plug in my flash with out surging...dumb) and aren't even USB 2.0, so we just decided to go with a new build. Here's what I've got.

Case - Gigabyte: $50.00

MB - Gigabyte 740G: $50.00 + $8.00 to ship

CPU - Phenom 9600: $90.00

RAM - A-Data 4GB DDR2-800: $44.00

PSU - Antec 380w: $45.00

We'll be re-using the optical drive and hard drive, and I'll have to call and hassle Microsoft cuz I'm using the same license code for XP home (yes I know that it'll only read 3.5GB of the RAM...but I'm leaving open for upgrade if they want to get the new windows os when it comes out) since we'll be decommissioning the old computer anyways.

Anyways, total price for those parts comes to $287 shipped. The computer will only be used for office tasks such as internet browsing and typing up documents and managing checkbooks and what not...that's why I've added no video card since there'll be no gaming.

So does it sound okay?

Thanks guys,
Zac

ew, dont go with the phenom I series quad... just stick to dual, or if u really want a quad, go phenomII quad or phenom II triple core

everything else looks good for the stuff you are using it for

Do you have a legitimate reason why I should go to a dual core? This is not a gaming computer. It will be primarily focused on multi-tasking, and I can't spend anymore as I'm at budget right now. I'm not going to waste money on PII-tri-core...it just wreaks of lameness :D Trust me, if it was my build, it would be a PII quad, but it's not being used for anything extensive.

Do you have a legitimate reason why I should go to a dual core? This is not a gaming computer. It will be primarily focused on multi-tasking, and I can't spend anymore as I'm at budget right now. I'm not going to waste money on PII-tri-core...it just wreaks of lameness :D Trust me, if it was my build, it would be a PII quad, but it's not being used for anything extensive.

well, i mean... are you leaning towards the one you picked or the dual core?

the dual core AMD's have outperformed the pheom quad's in numerous tests... the phenom series are a total FAIL

The computer will only be used for office tasks such as internet browsing and typing up documents and managing checkbooks and what not...that's why I've added no video card since there'll be no gaming.
Good build for what you need it to do and at a great price too. :D

Good build for what you need it to do and at a great price too. :D

That was really my first thought when I totaled everything up. Like I said, it's been a while since I've built totally new, and price has really dropped..you can really get something decent pretty cheap. I mean, even if he wasn't reusing the HDD and optical, I could still get a 250/320GB sata drive and dvd burner for well under $75. $290 bucks for a pretty darn good 'puter. ;-)

AR: Just read your newest post. I did see that, but I was hoping to keep the system intact hardware wise for about 4 years or so. Would that dual core be okay for 4 years (including being able to handle the new windows o/s when it comes out)? Also, how much of hit would multi-tasking get from bumping down from a quad to a dual? Or would the extra 400MHz make up for that?

That CPU will last you a long time. You shouldn't see any hit on multitasking performance. The nice thing is, if he needs a little more "oomph" down the road, it's easily overclockable to 3.0GHz with a simple mulitplier increase.

thats what i was saying >:O
Goofball. :D

You should have said that in the first place instead of "Don't buy that crappy CPU."

Back
Top Bottom