CD Drive not opening

Actually I think there might be something physically blocking it because it sounds like something is pushing against another thing or something of that sort.

That could be, I have a DVD drive on one of my computers that does just what you describe. Usually, in my case, the drive will open after a few trys. If not the paperclip method works.

When you tried the paperclip did it just refuse to move? Can you describe it? If I remember correctly the paperclip must go in straight so that it catchs the teeth of a little plastic gear and turns it opening the drive.

When I put the paper clip in nothing happens, no noise or anything. I know for a fact that there is no CD in because right before if stopped working I was trying to change disks and I only got the disk out before it stopped working.

sounds like u have a broken drive band probably or a busted gear.

did you by chance recently get mad at ur computer and slam ur drive closed really fast? lol

When I put the paper clip in nothing happens, no noise or anything. I know for a fact that there is no CD in because right before if stopped working I was trying to change disks and I only got the disk out before it stopped working.

You don't feel any resistance with the paperclip? Normally, the paperclip will go in so far then you meet some resistance, a gentle push from there and the drive opens about a half inch.

OK, so assuming my CD drive is totally busted I have a few old IDE drives, do you think they'd work with my mobo?

EDIT: Yes there is resistance, but when i push harder nothing happens.

OK, so assuming my CD drive is totally busted I have a few old IDE drives, do you think they'd work with my mobo?

EDIT: Yes there is resistance, but when i push harder nothing happens.

Sounds like it is stuck.

As long a the CD drive is IDE and your Motherboard has an IDE port for it there should be no problem.

Back
Top Bottom