New Build Shutting Off

Chaosed0

Beta member
Hi, guys. I'm new here!
Anyway, on to the problem. I have a new gaming build that is turning on and then simply shutting off again almost right away. This means I don't have enough time to install Windows, get into the bios, or, sometimes, even see the motherboard splash screen. Here's my build:

RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Dell Upgrade PPCS500D 500W Power Supply
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Computer Case
Vid Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4890 100269SR Video Card
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L ATX Intel Motherboard

Hope you guys can help me with this. I'm fairly new to building systems, so if the problem's obvious, I apologize.

Go through and make sure everything is seated properly. Including the CPU, heatsink, memory, all cables and connections. Check to make sure there are no extra standoffs below the motherboard that may be shorting on it.Does it beep at all?

No beeping, checking other things right now.

Edit: Just checked/pushed down a bunch of things and it's still not working. Any other ideas?
Edit 2: One more thing. I'm using an old IDE Cd-Drive 'cause I forgot to order one. >.> Probably doesn't make a difference, but then again, maybe it does.

maybe ur GPU is requiring more amps then ur PSU can give? i cant find req watts/amps for your 4890 so idk.

I was thinking about that myself, SniperViper. I can't find any req. watts myself!
Found this, though: http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4890-review-test/5

On an average system we feel that a single Radeon 4890 series requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system, and I feel that's a little on the safe side. Also recommended is a total of 32 AMPs on the +12 volt rails for stable power distribution (in a single card configuration).

So I guess I have to get a new PSU. D'oh...

The PSU is plenty. ATI recommends at least a 500W PSU for the HD 4890. Just for giggles, do you have another power supply you could try? A comp will act like how you are describing if your PSU is faulty. It's entirely possible the PSU arrived DOA. You could also test it in another comp to make sure it's good.

Do you have the heatsink fan plugged into the correct header on the motherboard?

I think I found the problem...
FRIGGIN... Processor fan wasn't all the way in. 3/4 of the pins were in, and now the fourth's in, and now the computer's running longer than it has been...
Thanks for your help, guys. You were right, Atomic Rooster; hadn't checked EVERYthing!

Back
Top Bottom