Graphics Interface

ndatoxicity

Daemon Poster
hey everyone, im about 2 weeks away from ordering my parts (going to do it like first day of summer....june 10th for me)

so anyways, i was looking at a mobo - cput combo that looked like a good deal... but i was looking at the PCI slots, and it was really weird... combo below

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190732

but the PCI slots on the mobo say some really weird stuff.... and idk if my graphics card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133270 PCIe 2.0 x 16) will work in it

heres what it says about the PCI slots....

1 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1)
1 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (PCIEX8_1)

For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot. The PCIEX8_1 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 slot. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with a PCI Express graphics card, the PCIEX16_1 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

if it DOES work with my gpu, ill probably get that combo.... the gigabyte one has a better north and south chipset.... plus the FSB speeds are the same

heres the one i am currently looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131381

thanks for your help =]

Yes your GTX 260 Core 216 will run perfectly on that motherboard.

The GA-MA790X-UD4P has two PCIe slots. The first one runs at x16, while the other runs at half the bandwidth at only x8. For the best performance from your video card, be sure to install it in the faster, #1 slot.

Yes your GTX 260 Core 216 will run perfectly on that motherboard.

The GA-MA790X-UD4P has two PCIe slots. The first one runs at x16, while the other runs at half the bandwidth at only x8. For the best performance from your video card, be sure to install it in the faster, #1 slot.

ok cool, ill probably go with the GIGABYTE, cuz of the better chipset....+rep

this is a good choice right? but both of them will work, im sure

That's a very nice combo. The GA-MA790X-UD4P is a very good board that should run the Phenom II 940 perfectly with good overclocking options. With the GTX 260, it should be a very fast gaming machine.

yep, thanks for all ur help atomic.... now instead of being scared... i can't wait to put this baby together =]

only thing now is if windows 7 drivers will be compatible... if not, no big deal - ill just get a different OS... no harm done =]

also, i was reading the reviews, and im not 100% positive if the heatsink for the 940 has thermal paste on it.... do you know?

You can get Windows 7 compatible drivers from Nvidia for the video card. Nvidia Driver Downloads

The OEM heatsink that comes with the CPU has thermal paste pre-applied.

ok - what about the motherboard? just use the driver disk?

also, i had a RAM question.... there were these 2 different things i was looking at... one is 800, another is 1066... the 800 is 7 dollars less, but better timings... idk which one to get....

You shouldn't need drivers for the chipset, but you may need them for the sound and LAN. Windows 7 may have built is support for them or you could try the Vista drivers on the disk.

I would get the G.Skill DDR2 1066. They are a better match for the CPU and are a quality product backed by an excellent warranty. The small difference in timings is made up by the fact that the DDR2 1066 is overall faster than the DDR2 800.

You can just use the drivers on the disk or you can look up the latest graphics drivers on Gigabyte's website.

As for the RAM, most people have to mess with their RAM settings because 1066 RAM goes down to 800 MHz. Just go with the 800 and overclock it to save yourself some money.

So far ive found with most hardware drivers the vista editions work just as well in windows 7

Back
Top Bottom