Mozilla Firefox and AV/Anti-Malware

John Bull

In Runtime
I have raised points elsewhere leading to a substantial support for the benefits of Firefox as against IE8, so decided to try it. Nine months ago when I first tried FF, it was a disaster and I quickly dumped it.
Must have had a messy download for some reason.

I downloaded FF from the Mozilla site using Safe Mode + Networking. Absolutely no problems and it works like a dream. I have only had it for one day, but after playing around with it, I am sure it is going to be just fine. I like it.

My security is covered by ;-
COMODO IS version 3.9.95478.509
AVG version 8.5.339
Spyware Terminator version 2.5.6.316
Spybot version 1.6.2
SpywareBlaster version 4.2
All are updated every day. All of the above have REAL TIME online protection.

With FF I can see no evidence of ST, SWB, AVG or Spybot being active at all.
In the case of AVG, the Safe-Search icons placed against every website on IE are missing with FF, thus SS is not active. Probably neither is the Link Scanner. Both of these I consider vital to safe surfing.

COMODO IS has FF listed in the Firewall and Defense files and the task bar icon seems to show it is active with FF by changing color on detections.

SWB has a check box for FF so when checked it is active with FF.

QUESTION
========
I am asking all those who have used FF extensively ;-
Why are the security programs listed above not active with FF except COMODO IS and SWB ?

If all my security programs are not compatible with FF, then although it looks extremely attractive, I will have to dump it yet again.
KAS

dude are you even serious about all those programs? you really use all that at the same time. You really are afraid of getting a virus I guess. As long as you have 1 AV working you should be fine. Just don't download crap that may have virus's on it. And keep your computer clean and you should be fine. I don't use anything but AVG 8.5 and I have never had a problem on any of my computers. If you still somehow get a virus on there just run Malwarebytes-Antimalware and that will get rid of anything you may have gotten.

The only reply so far ! From PokerDegenerate - a good nom-de-plume I must say, very adequate description.
-----
Re: Mozilla Firefox and AV/Anti-Malware

dude are you even serious about all those programs? you really use all that at the same time. You really are afraid of getting a virus I guess. As long as you have 1 AV working you should be fine. Just don't download crap that may have virus's on it. And keep your computer clean and you should be fine. I don't use anything but AVG 8.5 and I have never had a problem on any of my computers. If you still somehow get a virus on there just run Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware and that will get rid of anything you may have gotten.
---------
What a load of rubbish I get to a technical question.

I posted an explicit description of a problem with Firefox, I expect some interest and do not appreciate only ONE reply which calls me a "dude" and is of no value whatever. The local postman could have given me this answer. I expect better from a technical Forum.

If you are going to express a serious interest in this matter, then READ my post precisely and reply in a proper technical manner.

I NEVER said I run all these security programs at once, simply that they do or do not work with Firefox.

After being called a "dude" by some incidental and irrelevant member of our society, he then says that AVG works like a guardian angel with his beloved Firefox.
WELL DUDE - AVG does NOT WORK AT ALL WITH FIREFOX - see my post and make sure you read it properly before you dive off into a world of make believe. AND please get your facts right before you reply to these posts.

Another point he makes - I never concentrated on DOWNLOADS. Has this guy any experience at all with Internet surfing ? God man, you can get an infection or virus by simply visiting a website and Malwarbytes AM is useless against a virus. Surely I am not supposed to go over the elementary usage of the Internet and basic security ? I thought this Forum was far beyond that.

Punch line - If only one solitary person on this Forum is interested in Firefox and it`s compatibility with popular security programs, then I am wasting my time. There are more dedicated and knowledgeable Forums available.
ABSOLUTELY ASTONISHED ! - KAS

Sheesh dude, relax with the attitude. That's no way to get any help.

Now, in the case of AVG, Link Scanner works just fine and dandy with Firefox. It needs to be enabled upon installation. My suggestion would be to reinstall AVG with the Link Scanner option active. In my install of AVG, I chose not to install Link Scanner as it was invasive and slowed down searches and was a general pain if you wanted to get on some sites it deemed as dangerous.

Spybot is not an active scanner. It is a run once deal unless you install Tea Timer which will monitor the system for malicious processes and critical registry changes. It will not show any evidence as being active except for showing up in task manager and any alerts it may pop up from time to time.

As for your other listed programs I have no experience using any of them. On my computer, I have only AVG running without the Link Scanner option. I do occasional scans with Spybot S&D and AdAware Free and have had no problems with viruses, spyware, trojans, etc.

Back
Top Bottom