Western Digital External Hardrive

Jp425

Baseband Member
I just picked up a Western Digital 400 GB my passport external HD and i'm wondering why i only have 370 GB free space on it. Even after formatting it from its FAT32 to NTFS. I have no files on it. Is there a reason why it came in FAT32? So far 2 of my externals and SD Cards all came in this filing system.

Also for people who use this HD, is the WDsync any useful or should I uninstall it? I tried to sync a few folders but the files only show up in the WDSync program , not on the HD itself. For example i have a music folder and when i sync, the music files do not go into that folder. They do appear in the WDSync program.

That is only because the hard drive manufacturers use a different standard of measurement. They use straight decimal, but windows uses binary (exponential). Windows says that 400GB is 429,496,729,600 bytes, but the way that it is measured for your hard drive, it has 400,000,000,000 bytes.

The software that comes on it is not really all that great or really necessary. I formatted mine in NTFS and it works great. I have the 500 gig version.

Back
Top Bottom