Random Chit Chat

Well for a start the actual law in the UK states that its 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood , or in terms of breath seeing as thats the most common way of testing its 35 µg per 100 ml of breath so for one person they could get away with drinking 2 pints and still be way under that limit also as time goes on the alcohol level in the breath decreases quicker than that in the blood so for example if you get breath tested after 10 minutes of your last drink lets say one pint of average strength UK beer you may be over the limit whereas if the time period is an hour you may not be over the limit if a breath test is used
Anyway because the limits are measured as such there is no sure fire way for people to know if they are under the limit or not unless they have police issue testing equipment which i reckon dosent come cheap . Sure they sell those keyring testers for like £5 but woould you really but the stake of your driving license in the hands of one of those
thats why when i pass my test and get a car my policy will be no drink whatspever for at least 12 hours before drinking

ha, I first read that as 80ml of alcohol per 100ml of blood...

but then I realised my reading mistake...

not meaning to piss on your chips about the 12 hours before driving... but I've heard this general fable before...

when you are drinking, it takes 1 hour for a unit of alcohol to be absorbed into your system, and two hours after that for it to clear...

For this example we'll assume that 1/2 pint is one unit, (true for beer of about 4.5% ABV (9% proof))

so you drink a half pint, you can probably drive, 1 unit of alchol in an average adult male is roughly the limit.

if you have a whole pint, it takes 1 hour per unit to be fully absorbed, and then 2 hours per unit to disipate.

so from the start of your first drink it's 1hour for the first unit, 2 hours for the second unit, 2 further hours for the first unit to go, and a further 2 for the second unit to go.

so you have 1 pint of beer at (and finish it) 6pm, you should be clear to drive 4 hours later. 10pm
and have no residue in your blood by midnight...
and we're talking about 1 pint of quite weak beer!

as a more realistic example, imagine that you finish work at half five, and go to the pub, again you start drinking, though this time starting at 6, you drink 2 pints an hour, (still quite slow) before taking a taxi home at 9, (so an early night, but you've drank 6 pints, (2 between 6 and 7, 2 between 7 and 8, 2 between 8 and 9). to make the numbers add up I'll assume you drink at a constant rate, 1/2 pint per 15 minutes.

6pm 0 consumed 0 blood -
7pm 4 consumed 1 blood -
8pm 8 consumed 2 blood -
9pm 12 consumed 2 blood - 1 gone
(stop drinking)
10pm 12 consumed 3 blood -
11pm 12 consumed 3 blood - 2 gone
12am 12 consumed 4 blood -
1am 12 consumed 4 blood - 3 gone
2am 12 consumed 5 blood -
3am 12 consumed 5 blood - 4 gone
4am 12 consumed 6 blood -
5am 12 consumed 6 blood - 5 gone
6am 12 consumed 7 blood -
7am 12 consumed 6 blood - 6 gone
8am 12 consumed 6 blood -
9am 12 consumed 5 blood - 7 gone
10am 12 consumed 5 blood -
11am 12 consumed 4 blood - 8 gone
12pm 12 consumed 4 blood -
1pm 12 consumed 3 blood - 9 gone
2pm 12 consumed 3 blood -
3pm 12 consumed 2 blood - 10 gone
4pm 12 consumed 2 blood -
5pm 12 consumed 1 blood - 11 gone
6pm 12 consumed 1 blood -
7pm 12 consumed 0 blood - 12 gone

you finished drinking at 9pm one day, but could still be 9 times over the limit by 8 the next morning, further to that when you go home at 5 you've only just reached the legal limit for being able to drive! and by 7 the next evening you should have no alcohol in your system (assuming that you haven't started drinking again).

drinking heavily in the early evening so that you can get drunk and have an early night so that you'll be good to drive in the morning isn't as effective as you'd think. -that's why over Christmas they actually catch most drink drivers in the morning after.

not meaning to piss on your chips about the 12 hours before driving... but I've heard this general fable before...

when you are drinking, it takes 1 hour for a unit of alcohol to be absorbed into your system, and two hours after that for it to clear...

For this example we'll assume that 1/2 pint is one unit, (true for beer of about 4.5% ABV (9% proof))

so you drink a half pint, you can probably drive, 1 unit of alchol in an average adult male is roughly the limit.

if you have a whole pint, it takes 1 hour per unit to be fully absorbed, and then 2 hours per unit to disipate.

so from the start of your first drink it's 1hour for the first unit, 2 hours for the second unit, 2 further hours for the first unit to go, and a further 2 for the second unit to go.

so you have 1 pint of beer at (and finish it) 6pm, you should be clear to drive 4 hours later. 10pm
and have no residue in your blood by midnight...
and we're talking about 1 pint of quite weak beer!

as a more realistic example, imagine that you finish work at half five, and go to the pub, again you start drinking, though this time starting at 6, you drink 2 pints an hour, (still quite slow) before taking a taxi home at 9, (so an early night, but you've drank 6 pints, (2 between 6 and 7, 2 between 7 and 8, 2 between 8 and 9). to make the numbers add up I'll assume you drink at a constant rate, 1/2 pint per 15 minutes.

6pm 0 consumed 0 blood -
7pm 4 consumed 1 blood -
8pm 8 consumed 2 blood -
9pm 12 consumed 2 blood - 1 gone
(stop drinking)
10pm 12 consumed 3 blood -
11pm 12 consumed 3 blood - 2 gone
12am 12 consumed 4 blood -
1am 12 consumed 4 blood - 3 gone
2am 12 consumed 5 blood -
3am 12 consumed 5 blood - 4 gone
4am 12 consumed 6 blood -
5am 12 consumed 6 blood - 5 gone
6am 12 consumed 7 blood -
7am 12 consumed 6 blood - 6 gone
8am 12 consumed 6 blood -
9am 12 consumed 5 blood - 7 gone
10am 12 consumed 5 blood -
11am 12 consumed 4 blood - 8 gone
12pm 12 consumed 4 blood -
1pm 12 consumed 3 blood - 9 gone
2pm 12 consumed 3 blood -
3pm 12 consumed 2 blood - 10 gone
4pm 12 consumed 2 blood -
5pm 12 consumed 1 blood - 11 gone
6pm 12 consumed 1 blood -
7pm 12 consumed 0 blood - 12 gone

you finished drinking at 9pm one day, but could still be 9 times over the limit by 8 the next morning, further to that when you go home at 5 you've only just reached the legal limit for being able to drive! and by 7 the next evening you should have no alcohol in your system (assuming that you haven't started drinking again).

drinking heavily in the early evening so that you can get drunk and have an early night so that you'll be good to drive in the morning isn't as effective as you'd think. -that's why over Christmas they actually catch most drink drivers in the morning after.

That 1 hour figure is an average and just like your digestive metabolism works differently for different people and can be effected by many variables
one thing that does effect it though is the frequency of drinking so if you drink, more often its likely your body can process alcohol quicker

heh...bout drinking...lol

well when i first got my appartment, i had a part...
I drank 8 bottles of miller lite, about 7 shots of Capt Morgan, and then another 12 bottles of smirnoff, and i ate about 2 whole pizzas, sounds like a good night?

wrong, the next day i returned those pizzas to the toilet and had a huge head ach, and i got a really bad flue for about 2 weeks of temps over 103*s, so ever since then i only maybe have 2 beers at the most. Being drunk sucks : /

Most people go for the buzz or a bit past that... Some go the whole way, but most just a couple beers... At least in the high school parties I think, lol.

getting too drunk is a waste cuz you don't remember what you did IMO...

People need to know there limits but it seems that many people dont. Just go to a bar and you will see what I mean. I think it is so funny when people get so drunk that they puke and their significant other is just standing there like yep i gotta go home with this idiot...:(

The best nights are the ones you don't remember. The ones that everyone else has to tell you about because you were so wasted you can't remember.

Thats the thought behind it I guess... lol

Back
Top Bottom