Heatsink Zalman question

I hooked it to the motherboard just not to CPU FAN because the CPU FAN is 4 pin not 3 pin

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

Seems like the HSF you showed is an 3 pin fan. The motherboard should have an 3 or 4 pin for the CPU fan you can plug the fan into. So it should fit.
The reason why you are getting an error is most likely because you didnt plug the fan into the "CPU fan" socket. So the motherboard just assumed that there is no fan for the CPU.

IIRC, the only reason you would need 4 would be if the fan needed more power.

if that is idle temps that is a great drop in temps. Usually the big difference in temps comes from the load temps and not as much from idle although there will be a drop.

1. what are your load temps?
2. it wont be as tight as the stock heatsink
3. you need to hook it to the CPU fan pins in order to get rid of the error message it will be fine being 3 pin or 4 pin just make sure the clip is lined up correctly to make sure you are on the right pins.
4. is your processor OC'd?

there was a 3pin right next to the 4 pin cpu fan so i figured that was the 3pin cpu..

However now I am concerned that the hsf moves around a bit... its not on there to tight but I put it on right I mean it isnt difficult at all..

the 3 pin next to it isnt the same as the CPU fan one it is for a PWR fan usually. It will work and not harm anything but you will continue to get that error message.

Yeah heatsinks are made to be compatible with a lot of processor sockets so they are not as perfectly fit as a stock heatsink. There are ways to mod it to make it connect better but as long as your temps are lower It should be fine

the 3 pin next to it isnt the same as the CPU fan one it is for a PWR fan usually. It will work and not harm anything but you will continue to get that error message.

Yeah heatsinks are made to be compatible with a lot of processor sockets so they are not as perfectly fit as a stock heatsink. There are ways to mod it to make it connect better but as long as your temps are lower It should be fine

Ah I just checked in the bios it is a PWR Fan.. Gotta find the CPU 3pin now thanks.

with my case closed I get about 42idle with it open it idles 37-39, Ill be leaving it open being that I cant even put a fan on the side case because the zalman hsf is so big

just put it on the 4 pin and leave 1 pin not connected. It will be fine as long as you have the clip lined up correctly. you will find that there is only 1 way to put it on because of the clip on the connector. Just line it up with the one on the motherboard and it will be fine.

My mobo

mobo.jpg

yeah put it on the CPU 4 pin but on the 3 pins all the way to the right and leave the one the furthest to the left not connected to anything and it will work fine.

you can get your case cooler if you upgrade the input and exhaust fans to higher CFM than the stock ones. My case is actually hotter with the side panel off than it is with it on because of the amount of air that moves through it. :D:D

I actually got 2 fans to upgrade my stock fans 1 80mm and 1 120mm the 120mm was to push in cool air from the front and the 80mm was for the side but It didnt fit because of the Zalman. Ill probably upgrade the 120mm in the rear too.

the 80mm I got supposedly sounds like a jet plane its 45db and pushes through a lot of air I was excited to use it :(

Edit::

my upgraded fans

(the one that didnt fit on the side cause of HSF) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129238

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998128

Yeah i have the same problem with mine as well. My heatsink needs like 1 mm more of space to fit with the side fan so I just took the side fan off as well. If you want a fan that moves some SERIOUS air and don't mind some fan noise you could check out these things....:D:D

Scythe Ultra Kaze 3k.

Back
Top Bottom