Expansion Slot for Compaq Presario F730US Notebook

NervousLarry

Baseband Member
First off I'm not insanely technical, but I'm not completely hopeless.

I shoot and edit short films using a MiniDV camera and frequently use an IEEE 1394 card and cable to transer the videos. I've installed one on a home PC before, and it's obviously simple and pretty common to use a firewire these days. I recently got a Compaq Presario F730US Notebook PC as a gift. I'm not incredibly familiar with laptops, never owned one, only used them occasionally. I went out and bought a firewire cable and cardbus (specifically for notebooks) at my local radioshack, thinking there must be some way to install it because it's 2008.

Apparently not. After being a total dunce and unscrewing where the interal parts are, then uncovering the harddrive (no, I'm not dumb enough to fuck with either), I put both back on. There was no internal expansion slots. Ok. I check HP's website, and it's vague and confusing. Tech support was laughable. I can find no place on this thing where I'd be able to unscrew anything and put a card. I have 3 USB ports, but that's it. Looking online at my specs, under PCI slot it says "N/A". I'm assuming I have no expansion ports at all.

So this means I can't use firewire...at all? I know it's feasable but it seems insane. It's running on windows vista, brand new, up to date with everything, but I can't use a fucking firewire? I'm pissed off.

I don't care how it gets done, I want to connect and transfer videos from my camcorder to my laptop so I can edit them. Is there some secret place where expansion slots are kept on laptops? Is my laptop just shitty? Someone give me some help please.

There are no pci slots persay on a laptop. Your laptop should have either a pcmcia or express54 slot. Theses are for add on cards that will do what you need to do. Google for either one, or both.

Apparently mine has neither.

Is it usually possible to ship it back and get it modified for a price? As in, replace one of the 3 USB hubs with a firewire instead? I really need the firewire plug-in and can't return this thing.

Sorry for digging up an old topic- if no one wants to read the original post, basically, I have a crappy notebook that has no pcmi express slot, but I need to use a firewire for video transfers and do not have a firewire plugin.

Question is, can't I just get an external harddrive with firewire capabilities now and use the harddrive as my scratchdisk storage (which I would do for the movie clips anyway)?

Unless you have firewire 800 you'd be better off with a usb outboard drive.
BestBuy has a neat little 500 gig usb drive for 119.00 us dollars. It's a western digital passport drive.

Back
Top Bottom